Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Des Moines
A home in Des Moines might experience foundation issues for various reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are widespread nationwide. They include:
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't completed properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: The average Des Moines home construction year is 1973. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can be menacing to your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your gutter system doesn't protect.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that leads to your foundation cracking, pipes being damaged, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is crucial to its stability, so it's important to work with a top-notch foundation repair firm. Assess each provider using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
If an Iowa foundation company makes more than $2,000 per year, it must register with the state's Division of Labor. Registration doesn't require exams or continuing education. All it proves is that a company holds insurance and pays state taxes. However, cities in the Hawkeye State might still require licenses or practical training for foundation companies. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through what its representatives say. Inquire about its inspection processes, local building regulations, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Contractor websites are excellent places to do your research. Usually, a business will display how long it's been in the industry. It might also upload other content to help interested parties.
Before committing to a company, examine its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is incompetent. BBB comments also show how companies handle complaints. A responsive team that works toward amicable outcomes is a good one. Don't work with a contractor if you don't see effective communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Des Moines
The cost of foundation repair can vary quite a bit depending on the severity of the issues and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation fractures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial deterioration, the average cost will likely fall around $2,800. More complex jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or concrete leveling could cost $6,800 or more. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Des Moines
How much does foundation repair cost in Des Moines?
What's the time to complete a typical foundation repair job?
Are there telltale signs I should avoid a particular foundation company?
Will foundation repair disrupt my daily routine while the work's being done?
That said, foundation repair crews use heavy machinery, and you'll occasionally experience loud noises or tremors. If either of these will disturb you, you might prefer to leave and return when the crew is finished.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.