Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different types of air conditioners on the Columbus market. While HVAC technicians can work with most types, knowing which one you have will simplify your company research.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name implies, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're popular for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Columbus condos, apartments, and townhomes. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer individual room temperature control, higher energy efficiency, and flexible installation options.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They provide quiet operation, greater energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools and purifies outside air and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
How to Choose Your Columbus AC Repair Service
You likely want a quick solution for your air conditioner's problem. However, before engaging with a repair company, it's important to carefully investigate how well it fits your home's needs. Here are a few essential steps to follow.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
Indiana doesn't issue HVAC contractor licenses at the state level. However, many counties and cities still require licenses within their limits. Each local government can choose what exams a company owner must pass and what filings they need to submit.
You should also confirm a company has sufficient liability coverage, even if your state doesn't require it. Choosing an insured company will protect you if accidents happen during work.
Read Customer Reviews
Read customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits contractors that respond to complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair businesses to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different providers for the best value. A good estimate should include additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about manufacturer warranties, installer guarantees, and the emergency repair process.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Columbus
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Columbus?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How do I know if my air conditioning system needs repair?
How often should Columbus homeowners have their AC systems serviced?
How many years until I should replace my AC unit?
My HVAC problem is urgent. How quickly could a company respond?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.