Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Douglasville
Foundation issues have multiple possible causes. Here are the most frequent ones for Douglasville residents:
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Douglasville experiences, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction stresses nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can threaten your foundation's integrity, especially when it gathers in areas your drainage system doesn't reach.
- Aging plumbing: While many Douglasville homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that causes your foundation cracking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is essential to its structural integrity, so it's important to work with a top-notch foundation repair provider. Evaluate each provider using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
In Georgia, foundation companies may be licensed as general or specialty contractors. If a company holds a specialty license, it can only perform jobs within its Secretary of State-assigned classifications. Classifications are task-specific, including such specialties as concrete tilt-up, grading, and masonry. Talk to staff to gain more insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local building codes, inspection processes and permit ordinances.
Contractor websites are excellent places to do your research. Typically, a company will show how long it's been in business. It might also publish other content to help prospective customers.
We suggest examining the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to see whether it's accredited and has a good customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have shared satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is incompetent. The BBB shows how companies handle complaints. A proactive team that aims to achieve amicable outcomes is a good one. Avoid a contractor if you don't see clear communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Douglasville
The price of foundation repair can vary substantially depending on the degree of the issues and what's necessary to resolve them. For minor foundation fracturing and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant deterioration, the average cost falls at about $3,100. More involved projects involving digging, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost upwards of $6,900. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Douglasville
How much does foundation repair cost in Douglasville?
When would I need a foundation replacement, and when could I just get a repair?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
- Plumbing leaks
- Hairline cracks
- Mold and mildew
- Discoloration or odors
- Uneven floors
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for signs of damage, and fix any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.