Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Miami
Foundation issues have several possible causes. Here are the most prevalent ones for Miami residents:
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can harm your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your gutter system doesn't reach.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: Miami has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1943. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Miami gets, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may exert pressure that leads to your foundation breaking, pipes leaking, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation provider doesn't have to be challenging. We encourage you to write down what you desire most in a contractor, then evaluate each company on your list against these characteristics.
Licensing and Experience
Florida's contractor licensing system is rather unique. The state's Department of Business and Professional Regulation issues "certified" contractor licenses in building, general contracting, and residential construction that foundation companies must earn. There are also "registered" licenses issued at a local level. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how its team will draft plans and pull permits, what local codes apply to your project, and how the company inspects foundations.
One of the simplest ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to explore its website. Look for the company's history and what credentials its team holds. Many well-known companies offer educational content for future customers.
When you're researching a company's standing, check out its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both positive experiences and complaints. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. You want to discover how a company handles them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has more negative reviews, and doesn't communicate effectively, you should think twice about working with it.
Lastly, we recommend you search other platforms, including Trustpilot and Google, for more opinions.
Foundation Repair Cost in Miami
The price of foundation repair can vary substantially depending on the severity of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation cracking and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial deterioration, the normal cost lands at about $2,500. More involved projects requiring excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,700+. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Miami
How much does foundation repair cost in Miami?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
- Discoloration or odors
- Plumbing leaks
- Uneven floors
- Mold and mildew
- Hairline cracks
Will my homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
Are there any warranties or guarantees provided with Miami foundation repair services?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.