Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Fort Myers
A home in Fort Myers might experience foundation issues for various reasons. Some are unique to the local environment, while others are prevalent nationwide. They include:
- Aging plumbing: While many Fort Myers homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Fort Myers gets, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction stresses nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be menacing to your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your gutters don't protect.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't completed properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that results in your foundation fracturing, pipes leaking, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is vital to its structural integrity, so it's important to work with a quality foundation repair firm. Evaluate each company using the following factors:
Licensing and Experience
Florida's contractor licensing system is rather unique. The state's Department of Business and Professional Regulation issues "certified" contractor licenses in building, general contracting, and residential construction that foundation companies must earn. There are also "registered" licenses issued at a local level. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how the company inspects foundations, what local codes apply to your project, and how its team will draft plans and pull permits.
Another way to evaluate a company's credibility is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade qualifications. It might also share knowledge and insights through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
Before committing to a company, review its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Negative feedback doesn't mean a contractor is unreliable. BBB reviews show how the company handled complaints. It's a good sign if the company has resolved issues proactively and appropriately. You should avoid a company with numerous negative reviews, no licensure, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Fort Myers
The price of foundation repair can range widely depending on the extent of the issues and what's needed to resolve them. For minor foundation fissures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial damage, the average cost lands at about $2,300. More intricate projects involving digging, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost upwards of $6,700. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Fort Myers
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Fort Myers?
What's the most popular foundation type in Fort Myers?
Are there any warranties or guarantees provided with Fort Myers foundation repair services?
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.