Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Fort Lauderdale
A home in Fort Lauderdale might experience foundation issues for a variety of reasons. Some are unique to the local environment, while others are prevalent nationwide. They include:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't done properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Fort Lauderdale experiences, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Aging plumbing: The average Fort Lauderdale home construction year is 1979. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may exert pressure that results in your foundation cracking, pipes being damaged, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is essential to its stability, so it's important to work with a trustworthy foundation repair contractor. Evaluate each company using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
Florida's contractor licensing system is rather unique. The state's Department of Business and Professional Regulation issues "certified" contractor licenses in building, general contracting, and residential construction that foundation companies must earn. There are also "registered" licenses issued at a local level. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how its team will draft plans and pull permits, what local codes apply to your project, and how the company inspects foundations.
Contractor websites are among the best places to do your research. Usually, a company will display how long it's been in the industry. It might also publish articles to assist interested parties.
When you're researching a company's standing, head to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both positive experiences and complaints. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. BBB reviews also show how companies address complaints. A proactive team that works toward amicable outcomes is a good one. Don't work with a business if you don't see clear communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Fort Lauderdale
The price of foundation repair can vary substantially depending on the scale of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation fracturing and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial deterioration, the average cost falls at about $2,500. More intricate projects requiring digging, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,700+. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Fort Lauderdale
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Fort Lauderdale?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
What's the most popular foundation type in Fort Lauderdale?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for signs of damage, and repair any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.