Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Clearwater
Some frequent reasons why Clearwater homeowners encounter foundation woes include:
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't done to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Clearwater experiences, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction stresses nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Aging plumbing: The average Clearwater home construction year is 1977. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that results in your foundation cracking, pipes being damaged, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation company doesn't have to be challenging. We encourage you to write down what you desire most in a contractor, then evaluate each provider on your shortlist against these attributes.
Licensing and Experience
Florida's contractor licensing system is rather unique. The state's Department of Business and Professional Regulation issues "certified" contractor licenses in building, general contracting, and residential construction that foundation companies must earn. There are also "registered" licenses issued at a local level. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the details its representatives share. Inquire about its inspection methods, local code requirements, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Another way to assess a company's standing is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade credentials. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
Before signing a contract with a company, review its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company manages them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has an abundance of negative feedback, and doesn't communicate well, you should avoid working with it.
Finally, we encourage you to search additional sites, including Trustpilot and Google, for other reviews.
Foundation Repair Cost in Clearwater
The cost of foundation repair can vary substantially based on the scale of the problems and what must be done to fix them. For minor foundation cracking and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is considerable damage, the typical cost will be around $2,300. More involved jobs involving excavation, helical piers, or extensive concrete leveling could run you $6,700. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Clearwater
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Clearwater?
What are the different types of foundations in Clearwater?
What's the time to complete a typical foundation repair job?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for signs of damage, and address any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.