Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Cape Coral
Some frequent reasons why Cape Coral homeowners encounter foundation woes include:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Cape Coral receives, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Standing water: Standing water around your home can harm your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your gutters don't protect.
- Aging plumbing: While many Cape Coral homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may create stress that results in your foundation cracking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation repair company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each contractor on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
Florida's contractor licensing system is rather unique. The state's Department of Business and Professional Regulation issues "certified" contractor licenses in building, general contracting, and residential construction that foundation companies must earn. There are also "registered" licenses issued at a local level. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about what local codes apply to your project, how its team will draft plans and pull permits, and how the company inspects foundations.
Contractor websites are among the best places to do your research. Typically, a business will disclose how long it's been in business. It might also share articles to assist prospective customers.
We suggest looking into the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to determine whether it's accredited and has a positive customer review score. You can see whether other homeowners have expressed satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. BBB reviews also show how companies handle complaints. A responsive team that works toward amicable outcomes is a good one. Don't work with a contractor if you don't see effective communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Cape Coral
The cost of foundation repair can vary quite a bit depending on the severity of the issues and what needs to be done to address them. For minor foundation fissures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is more significant damage, the average cost will likely fall around $2,300. More complex jobs involving excavation, helical piers, or concrete leveling could cost $6,700 or more. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Cape Coral
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Cape Coral?
How long does foundation repair usually take?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for cracks, and repair any issues immediately.
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.