Common Types of Air Conditioners
HVAC technicians have the expertise to service most air conditioner types, but knowing more about what you have can be beneficial. Below, we'll describe each of the common AC units.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Stamford condos, townhomes, and apartments. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users deploy their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name implies, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're popular for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, individual room temperature control, and flexible installation options.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They provide quiet operation, greater energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
How to Choose Your Stamford AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should do your research before committing to a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the top-rated company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
Connecticut HVAC companies must have a current Heating, Cooling and Sheet Metal Work license issued by the Department of Consumer Protection. A businessowner must pass comprehensive exams to apply, and to keep control of local standards, Connecticut does not recognize licenses issued in any other state.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Find customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes contractors that handle complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair businesses to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different providers for the best value. A good estimate should list additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about installer guarantees, the emergency repair process, and manufacturer warranties.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Stamford
What's the cost of an AC repair job in Stamford?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
What are some signs that I should call an HVAC repair company?
Does my air conditioner need routine maintenance? If so, how often?
When is the best time to replace an AC unit?
Why should I hire an HVAC professional? Couldn't I repair my air conditioner myself?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.