Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Whittier
A few common reasons why Whittier homeowners face foundation problems include:
- Standing water: Standing water around your home can be menacing to your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your gutters don't protect.
- Aging plumbing: Whittier has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1959. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't performed to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that results in your foundation fracturing, pipes leaking, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is vital to its stability, so it's important to work with a top-notch foundation repair company. Evaluate each provider using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
The Golden State issues many different kinds of contracting licenses, and foundation companies often have more than one. You can verify a company's licensing information through the Contractors State License Board, a division of the California Department of Consumer Affairs. Look for a company with a General Building Contractor, General Engineering Contractor, C-8 Concrete, or C-61 Pile Driving credential. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through what its representatives say. Inquire about its inspection processes, local code requirements, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Another way to evaluate a company's standing is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade qualifications. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
Before selecting a company, review its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company handles them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, shows more negative reviews than positive ones, and doesn't communicate well, you should avoid working with it.
Finally, we suggest you search different websites, such as Trustpilot and Google, for other reviews.
Foundation Repair Cost in Whittier
The cost of foundation repair can differ significantly depending on the severity of the issues and what needs to be done to address them. For minor foundation fractures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial damage, the average cost will likely fall around $2,700. More complex jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or concrete leveling could cost $6,800 or more. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Whittier
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Whittier?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for signs of damage, and fix any issues promptly.
Are there telltale signs I should avoid a particular foundation company?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.