Common Causes of Foundation Problems in San Jose
A few factors can contribute to foundation issues. Here are the most widespread ones for San Jose residents:
- Aging plumbing: The average San Jose home construction year is 1976. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your drainage system doesn't cover.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't done properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through crevices, and may create stress that leads to your foundation fracturing, pipes rupturing, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each contractor on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
The Golden State issues many different kinds of contracting licenses, and foundation companies often have more than one. You can verify a company's licensing information through the Contractors State License Board, a division of the California Department of Consumer Affairs. Look for a company with a General Building Contractor, General Engineering Contractor, C-8 Concrete, or C-61 Pile Driving credential. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the information its team gives you. Ask about its inspection processes, local codes, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Contractor websites are some of the best places to do your research. Usually, a foundation company will show how long it's been operating. It might also upload other content to help potential clients.
Before choosing a company, check its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is incompetent. BBB reviews also show how companies address complaints. A responsive team that works toward excellent outcomes is a good one. Avoid a contractor if you don't see clear communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in San Jose
The price of foundation repair can differ quite significantly based on the extent of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation cracking and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,900. However, if there is considerable damage, the normal cost lands at about $3,300. More complex projects requiring excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $7,000+. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in San Jose
How much does foundation repair cost in San Jose?
When do I need to waterproof my foundation?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing drains and sump pumps or using sealants around a cellar. Exterior waterproofing is usually less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and forming physical barriers between your foundation and lawn.
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for signs of damage, and fix any issues immediately.
Will foundation repair disrupt my daily routine while the work's being done?
That said, foundation repair crews operate heavy equipment, and you'll occasionally experience loud noises or vibrations. If either of these will disturb you, you might prefer to leave and return when the crew is finished.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.