Common Types of Air Conditioners
By understanding which type of air conditioner you have, you'll feel more empowered in your company search. Pasadena HVAC contractors have experience with different AC makes and models, and they can adapt their skills to your needs.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're a common choice for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Pasadena condos, apartments, and townhomes. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users set up their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools and purifies outside air and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They offer silent operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, individual room temperature control, and flexible installation options.
How to Choose Your Pasadena AC Repair Service
You likely want a swift resolution for your air conditioner's problem. However, before recruiting a repair company, it's important to do careful research to ensure it's the best for your home. Here are a few essential steps to follow. With Pasadena's scorching heat, AC problems are critical to fix for your safety and comfort. However, don't race to sign a contract until you're convinced a company is the best fit for you. We recommend following these steps in your research.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
California HVAC contractors need a C-20 (Warm-Air Heating, Ventilation, and Air-Conditioning) license from the Department of Consumer Affairs. The application process involves comprehensive exams on business law and practical skills.
You should also verify a company has sufficient liability coverage, even if your state doesn't require it. Choosing an insured company will protect you if something gets damaged during work.
Read Customer Reviews
Check customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes businesses that resolve complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair companies to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We suggest getting three or more estimates to find the best cost and services. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about manufacturer warranties, installer guarantees, permitting fees and emergency repair availability.
Expert Tips By
This Old House empowers homeowners with the knowledge and tools they need to tackle various projects and navigate the complexities of homeownership.
Pasadena HVAC FAQ
What's the cost of an AC repair job in Pasadena?
Your AC repair costs will hinge on your system's make and model and the malfunctioning part. A basic repair job like sorting out a thermostat might cost $150–$250, whereas a more intricate fix like swapping out the compressor will be more expensive.
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Common Repair||Average Cost|
|Clogged air filter||$149–$357|
|Frozen condenser coils||$496–$1987|
|Fan or air blower issues||$894–$1291|
Does my air conditioner need routine maintenance? If so, how often?
Homeowners should have their AC systems serviced at least once a year to ensure optimal performance. This usually involves cleaning the outdoor unit of brush and debris. Regular servicing can help to maintain the system's efficiency and prolong its lifespan.
Why should I hire an HVAC professional? Couldn't I repair my air conditioner myself?
Yes, it's better to get a new air conditioner professionally installed. Most units have complex wiring and piping that can confuse even an experienced do-it-yourselfer. They also use refrigerants that could pose dangers if they spill or leak. With their training and equipment, the right technician will set you up for success.
What industry certifications should I look for when researching Pasadena AC repair companies?
Private accreditations might not be required, but companies that seek them are typically more trustworthy. The two largest HVAC trade bodies that issue certifications are the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) and Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA).
My HVAC problem is urgent. How quickly could a company respond?
Some repair companies offer same-day or next-day service for emergency air conditioner breakdowns. However, the specific timeframe will vary depending on the team's schedule, the terms in your contract, and the severity of the issue. For the most accurate info, we recommend contacting the company directly and explaining the situation.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.