Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Montgomery
Foundation issues have several possible causes. Here are the most frequent ones for Montgomery residents:
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Montgomery experiences, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Aging plumbing: The average Montgomery home construction year is 1974. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Standing water around your home can be menacing to your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your gutter system doesn't cover.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that results in your foundation cracking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is crucial to its structural integrity, so it's important to work with a trustworthy foundation repair provider. Evaluate each provider using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
In Alabama, foundation companies must be licensed prime contractors or subcontractors with a Building Construction classification. The state also recognizes credentials issued in Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee, but a company must still register with the Licensing Board for General Contractors to do work in the Yellowhammer State. Talk to representatives to gain further insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local permit ordinances, inspection processes and building codes.
Another way to assess a company's reputation is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade credentials. It might also share knowledge and insights through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
Before choosing a company, check its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both positive reviews and complaints. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. The BBB shows how companies address complaints. A proactive team that works toward positive outcomes is a good one. Don't work with a business if you don't see good communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Montgomery
The price of foundation repair can vary substantially depending on the scale of the issues and what's required to resolve them. For minor foundation fracturing and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is considerable damage, the normal cost falls at about $2,700. More involved projects involving excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost upwards of $6,800. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Montgomery
How much does foundation repair cost in Montgomery?
When would I need a foundation replacement, and when could I just get a repair?
Do Montgomery foundation repair companies offer warranties or guarantees?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for cracks, and repair any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.