Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Madison
Some frequent reasons why Madison homeowners encounter foundation troubles include:
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't done to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: While many Madison homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your drainage system doesn't cover.
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Madison experiences, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can encroach on a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that leads to your foundation cracking, pipes leaking, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To pick a foundation repair business, you should think about what's most important to you. Use this guide to help you go through the process.
Licensing and Experience
In Alabama, foundation companies must be licensed prime contractors or subcontractors with a Building Construction classification. The state also recognizes credentials issued in Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee, but a company must still register with the Licensing Board for General Contractors to do work in the Yellowhammer State. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through what its representatives say. Inquire about its inspection processes, local building regulations, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Another way to measure a company's standing is to examine its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade qualifications. It might also share knowledge and insights through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
When you're researching a company's standing, visit its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both positive experiences and complaints. Negative feedback doesn't mean a contractor is unreliable. BBB reviews show how the company dealt with complaints. It's a good sign if the company has resolved issues proactively and favorably. You should avoid a company with numerous negative reviews, no accreditation, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Madison
The price of foundation repair can vary substantially depending on the degree of the issues and what's required to resolve them. For minor foundation cracking and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is considerable damage, the normal cost is about $2,300. More complex projects involving tunneling, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost upwards of $6,700. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Madison
How much does foundation repair cost in Madison?
What's the most popular foundation type in Madison?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
- Hairline cracks
- Uneven floors
- Plumbing leaks
- Mold and mildew
- Discoloration or odors
Do I need to leave my home for foundation repair work?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.