Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Hoover
A few frequent reasons why Hoover homeowners encounter foundation issues include:
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Hoover gets, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't done properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can harm your foundation's integrity, especially when it gathers in areas your drainage system doesn't protect.
- Aging plumbing: While many Hoover homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may exert pressure that results in your foundation breaking, pipes leaking, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each provider on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
In Alabama, foundation companies must be licensed prime contractors or subcontractors with a Building Construction classification. The state also recognizes credentials issued in Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee, but a company must still register with the Licensing Board for General Contractors to do work in the Yellowhammer State. Talk to team members to gain additional insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local building codes, permit ordinances and inspection processes.
Contractor websites are some of the best places to do your research. Usually, a foundation company will discuss how long it's been in business. It might also upload other content to help interested parties.
Before selecting a company, examine its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both positive reviews and complaints. Negative feedback doesn't mean a contractor is bad news. BBB reviews show how the company addressed complaints. It's a good sign if the company has settled issues proactively and appropriately. You should steer clear of a company with more negative reviews, no credentials, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Hoover
The cost of foundation repair can range quite widely based on the scale of the problems and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation fissuring and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,900. However, if there is significant damage, the typical cost will be around $3,200. More complex jobs involving digging, helical piers, or extensive concrete leveling could run you $7,000. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Hoover
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Hoover?
What's the most popular foundation type in Hoover?
Will my homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for signs of damage, and repair any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.