Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Dothan
Foundation issues have several possible causes. Here are the top ones for Dothan residents:
- Aging plumbing: While many Dothan homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your gutters don't cover.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Dothan gets, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that leads to your foundation breaking, pipes leaking, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To pick a foundation repair business, you should determine what's most important to you. Use this guide to help you navigate the process.
Licensing and Experience
In Alabama, foundation companies must be licensed prime contractors or subcontractors with a Building Construction classification. The state also recognizes credentials issued in Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee, but a company must still register with the Licensing Board for General Contractors to do work in the Yellowhammer State. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through what its representatives say. Inquire about its inspection methods, local code requirements, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Another way to evaluate a company's credibility is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade accreditations. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
When you're researching a company's credibility, go to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. BBB reviews also show how companies resolve complaints. A responsive team that works toward excellent outcomes is a good one. Avoid a contractor if you don't see clear communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Dothan
The cost of foundation repair can range widely depending on the scale of the issues and what needs to be done to address them. For minor foundation fissures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,700. However, if there is considerable damage, the average cost will likely fall around $2,000. More complex jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or concrete leveling could cost $6,500 or more. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Dothan
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Dothan?
What's the time to complete a typical foundation repair job?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for signs of damage, and repair any issues immediately.
Do I need to leave my home for foundation repair work?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.