Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Birmingham
A home in Birmingham might experience foundation issues for various reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are widespread nationwide. They include:
- Aging plumbing: The average Birmingham home construction year is 1971. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Birmingham experiences, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Standing water: Standing water around your home can harm your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your gutters don't cover.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through cracks, and may exert pressure that results in your foundation fracturing, pipes being damaged, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation company doesn't have to be difficult. We encourage you to jot down what you expect most in a company, then evaluate each provider on your list against these qualities.
Licensing and Experience
In Alabama, foundation companies must be licensed prime contractors or subcontractors with a Building Construction classification. The state also recognizes credentials issued in Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Tennessee, but a company must still register with the Licensing Board for General Contractors to do work in the Yellowhammer State. Talk to staff to gain further insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local inspection processes, building codes and permit ordinances.
One of the easiest ways to assess a company's reputation is to visit its website. Look for the company's years in business and what credentials its team holds. Many prominent companies publish educational content for future customers.
Before selecting a company, check its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both positive reviews and complaints. Complaints don't mean a contractor is unreliable. BBB reviews show how the company dealt with complaints. It's a positive sign if the company has settled issues proactively and favorably. You should steer clear of a company with more negative reviews, no licensure, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Birmingham
The cost of foundation repair can vary quite a bit depending on the severity of the issues and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation cracking and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial damage, the average cost will likely fall around $2,700. More complex jobs involving excavation, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,800 or more. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Birmingham
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Birmingham?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
When do I need to waterproof my foundation?
- Uneven floors
- Discoloration or odors
- Plumbing leaks
- Mold and mildew
- Hairline cracks
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.