Oklahoma City residents have it tricky when it comes to lawn care. The transition zone means that both warm- and cool-season grasses are suitable, but they have to be maintained and nurtured carefully. An easy, efficient way to make sure they get the TLC they need is hiring a professional lawn care company.
The This Old House Reviews Team has evaluated many lawn care companies in Oklahoma City to help you find the best company for your needs. We’ve created this comprehensive TruGreen review, detailing the company’s availability, services, and more. This Old House Reviews Team believes it’s the top lawn care company for Oklahoma City homeowners.
Pros and Cons of TruGreen
✔ Natural fertilizer available
✔ Mobile app and online chat
✔ Offers pest control services
✘ Customers complain about inexperienced technicians
✘ Customer service can be difficult to get in touch with by phone
Plans and Services
TruGreen has a wide selection of lawn care plans, offering all five of its annual programs in the area. The most popular programs include the TruHealth℠ Lawn Care Plan, TruComplete℠ Lawn Care Plan, and TruSignature℠ Lawn Care Plan. TruSignature is the most comprehensive plan.
|Services||TruHealth Lawn Care Plan||TruComplete Lawn Care Plan||TruSignature Lawn Care Plan|
|Services||TruHealth Lawn Care Plan||TruComplete Lawn Care Plan||TruSignature Lawn Care Plan|
|Lime soil amendment||✓||✓||✓|
|Pre-emergent and targeted weed control||✓||✓||✓|
|Tree and shrub services||-||-||✓|
*The TruComplete Lawn Care Plan and TruSignature Lawn Plan only offer overseeding for fescue lawns.
The standard TruMaintenance℠ Lawn Care Plan includes fertilization and pre-emergent and targeted weed control. The TruNatural℠ Lawn Care Plan uses natural fertilizer.
TruGreen also offers a la carte services so you can customize a well-rounded lawn care program:
- Soil Amendment & Analysis
- Grub Control & Prevention
- Fire Ant Control Services
TruGreen Locations in the Oklahoma City Area
TruGreen has one branch location in Oklahoma City, located less than 15 minutes from downtown.
- Oklahoma City: 7016 Camille Avenue, Oklahoma, OK 73149
TruGreen services the following zip codes, among others:
- Norman: 73026, 73069, 73070, 73071, 73072
- Newcastle: 73065
- Nicoma Park: 73066
- Noble: 73068
- Piedmont: 73078
- Purcell: 73080
- Oklahoma City: 73139, 73141, 73142, 73149, 73150, 73151, 73159, 73160, 73162, 73165, 73169, 73170, 73173, 73179
- Ardmore: 73401
- Enid: 73705
- Shawnee: 74801. 74804
- Ada: 74820
- Newalla: 74857
TruGreen has built its reputation over nearly 50 years in the industry. Here’s what some real customers had to say.
“Hassel free work and the lawn looks great! Haven’t had any trouble. The tech comes sprays lets us know if there is anything we need to do answers our questions and gets it done. I would recommend them to anyone!!” — Mari W. in Oklahoma City, OK
“The lawn service technicians that come to my home are very polite and knowledgeable at what they do. They always take time to talk with me and answer my lawn questions.” — Jerry S. in Oklahoma City, OK
How to Get a Free TruGreen Estimate
Why You Should Choose TruGreen
TruGreen is a leader in the industry, offering a range of plans in every state except for Alaska. Read on to learn more about its benefits.
- Commitment to customer service: TruGreen offers 24/7 customer support during the week, a mobile app, and an online chat function.
- Professional analysis: Every service begins with a Healthy Lawn Analysis® to assess your lawn’s individual needs. After each visit, your lawn care specialist will leave a detailed service summary at your door recapping what they’ve done and sharing any tips.
- Satisfaction guarantee: For full-program customers, TruGreen service is backed by the company’s Healthy Lawn Guarantee. A TruGreen lawn care specialist will come back to your lawn as many times as needed between applications to re-treat at no additional cost.
- Expert specialists: TruGreen offers scientifically-backed services performed by TruExpert℠ Certified Specialists. Each of them must pass the 10-day TruExpert Lawn Certification Program, an intensive course that covers topics including horticulture, agronomics, and safety.
- Wide selection of plans: Unlike many of its competitors, TruGreen offers several different annual programs in addition to its a la carte services.
Oklahoma City Lawn Care Tips
When it comes to lawn care, Oklahoma City homeowners should know they live in a transition zone—which means they experience a lot of seasonal variety, and a combination of northern and southern weather. Because of that, knowing whether to plant cool-season grasses or warm-season grasses can be tricky. Here are some of the top options:
- Bermudagrass: This fine-textured warm-season grass has great heat and drought tolerance, and can weather winter well.
- Zoysia grass: This dense warm-season grass thrives in the sunlight and has good tolerance for wear and tear.
- Tall fescue: This adaptable cool-season grass can do well in shaded sites that warm-season grasses can’t tolerate.
Lawn care is important year-round, especially in places with such variable weather. Here are some lawn care tips for Oklahoma City by season:
- Fall: You won’t need to water as frequently, but don’t stop altogether. Rake any fallen leaves and break up any thatch to make sure your soil has easy access to nutrients, air, and water. Consider fertilizing your cool-season grass towards the end of this season.
- Winter: Keep your lawn clear of debris and avoid excessive foot traffic.
- Spring: Apply pre-emergent weed control to prevent weeds from springing up. Spring is a good time to overseed if you have any bare patches.
- Summer: Instead of watering once or twice a week, water deeply every other day so that your lawn gets 1-1.5 inches and doesn’t get the chance to dry out.
Frequently Asked Questions about TruGreen in OKC
How much do TruGreen services cost?
The cost of your TruGreen services will depend on a variety of factors, including the condition of your lawn when service begins, the size and shape of your lawn, the location you live in, and the treatment plan you choose.
Should I water my lawn before or after a TruGreen application?
TruGreen recommends you water your lawn after an application, not before.
When can I return to the serviced area?
TruGreen recommends people and pets wait for 1-2 hours after the application dries to return to the treated area. However, factors like low temperatures and high humidity may increase the length of time they need to wait.
Does TruGreen have a service guarantee?
TruGreen’s Healthy Lawn Guarantee for full-program customers ensures that if you have any issues between scheduled treatments, a lawn care specialist will return to your home to re-treat at no additional charge.
Our Rating Methodology
To provide readers with the most objective, accurate, and detailed recommendations, the This Old House Reviews Team continually researches lawn care service companies on the market. We take the following steps to obtain up-to-date information about the industry and each company we review:
- Analyze more than 100 customer reviews from third-party review sites, such as Yelp, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and Google Reviews, for each company
- Secret-shop for lawn care plans and packages to get a sense of cost, offered services, and the overall shopping experience for prospective customers
- Speak with representatives on the phone to simulate the customer service experience from each provider
- Update information on a regular basis to ensure the most accurate information when plans or services change with each company
We use the data from our research to build an in-depth rating system that allows us to score lawn care providers on a 100-point scale. Here are the factors in our evaluation and their designated scores:
- Plan options (30): As one of the most important factors for homeowners shopping for a lawn care service, this one is weighted heavily based on each company’s lawn coverage. Companies that offer more options, such as irrigation, weed control, seeding, and aeration services in addition to a general plan, score higher than others.
- Trustworthiness (30): Each company’s reputation is another significant factor for homeowners to consider before signing up for a plan. We scored providers based on their BBB score, accreditation, and offered guarantees available with each purchase.
- Additional Benefits (20): We gave extra points to companies that provide a few additional services and benefits with their offered plans, such as organic treatments, pest control services, and a mobile app for digital communication and plan management.
- Customer Service (10): In this rating category, we awarded points to customer-focused lawn care service providers who offer weekend availability and easy communication through phones, online chats, and online resources.
- Availability (10): We also scored companies based on their overall availability, rewarding those that are nationally available over local companies only operating in select cities or ZIP codes.
More Lawn Care Resources
- TruGreen Review (2022)
- Sunday Lawn Care Review (2022)
- TruGreen Lawn Care: Denver, CO (2022)
- TruGreen Lawn Care: Dallas, TX (2022)
- TruGreen Lawn Care: Charlotte, NC (2022)
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.