Affiliate Disclosure: This Old House‘s Reviews Team is committed to delivering honest, objective, and independent reviews on home products and services. To support this business model, This Old House may be compensated if you purchase through links on our website.
Homeowners in Dallas know that having a lush, green lawn year-round takes a lot of time and effort. For those with busy schedules, hiring a professional lawn care company can be the way to go. Professionals have the expertise, products, and equipment to beautify lawns.
The This Old House Reviews Team recommends TruGreen, an industry leader that offers five annual programs, a variety of a la carte services, a customer satisfaction guarantee, and more.
Pros and Cons of TruGreen
✔ Natural fertilizer available
✔ Mobile app and online chat
✔ Offers pest control services
✘ Customers complain about inexperienced technicians
✘ Customer service can be difficult to get in touch with by phone
Plans and Services
TruGreen offers a wider variety of lawn care plans than its top competitors. The lawn care company provides five different annual programs in the area. The most popular programs are the TruHealth℠ Lawn Care Plan, TruComplete℠ Lawn Care Plan, and TruSignature℠ Lawn Care Plan. Here are the breakdowns:
|Services||TruHealth Lawn Care Plan||TruComplete Lawn Care Plan||TruSignature Lawn Care Plan|
|Lime soil amendment||✓||✓||✓|
|Pre-emergent and targeted weed control||✓||✓||✓|
|Tree and shrub services||–||–||✓|
|Services||TruHealth Lawn Care Plan||TruComplete Lawn Care Plan||TruSignature Lawn Care Plan|
*The TruComplete Lawn Care Plan and TruSignature Lawn Plan only offer overseeding for fescue lawns.
TruGreen also offers a streamlined TruMaintenance℠ Lawn Care Plan, which includes fertilization and pre-emergent and targeted weed control. Its TruNatural℠ Lawn Care Plan gradually thickens lawns by using natural fertilizer.
TruGreen also offers a la carte services so you can customize a well-rounded lawn care program:
- Soil Amendment & Analysis
- Grub Control & Prevention
- Mosquito Control & Defense Treatment
- Fire Ant Control Services
TruGreen Locations in the Dallas Area
There are a total of six TruGreen branches in Dallas and its surrounding areas, with the Dallas East location less than 20 minutes from the city.
- Carrollton: 1640 Wallace Drive, Carrollton, TX 75006
- Dallas East: 4908 Olsen Drive, Dallas, TX 75227
- Fort Worth: 7501 Airport Freeway, Richland Hills, TX 76118
- Grand Prairie: 2420 113th Street, Grand Prairie, TX 75050
- Lewisville: 445 E. Jones Road, Lewisville, TX 75057
- Plano: 1500 10th Street, Plano, TX 75074
TruGreen services the following zip codes, among others:
- Dallas: 75202, 75227, 75241, 75246, 75253
- Lancaster: 75134, 75146
- Mesquite: 75149, 75181
- Balch Springs: 75180
- Corsicana: 75110
- Greenville: 75401, 75402, 75403
- Waxahachie: 75165
- Terrell: 75161, 75160
- Scurry: 75158
- Sunnyvale: 75182
- Red Oak: 75154
- Palmer: 75152
- Caddo Mills: 75135
- Kaufman: 75142
- Corsicana: 75109
- Hutchins: 75141
- Crandall: 75114
- Ennis: 75119
- Ferris: 75125
- Forney: 75126
- Fate: 75132
TruGreen has been in the business for nearly 50 years, and has earned a solid reputation over the decades. Here’s what some real customers had to say about TruGreen.
“I struggled to get my lawn looking nice and healthy for 2 years meanwhile my neighbor’s yard flourished so I asked him what he was doing. After finding out he was using TruGreen I signed up as well and I saw a huge improvement after the first treatment and many treatments later my lawn has never looked better.”
— Shemeka C. in Dallas, TX
“Prices are a little higher than I would like, but you get what you pay for. The product they put on the grass is better than anything I believe I can purchase. I have tried so many products. And I always end up going back to TruGreen despite the price.”
— Brian S. in Dallas, TX
How to Get a Free TruGreen Estimate
To get a free quote from TruGreen, call 866-817-2287 or fill out this easy form.
Why You Should Choose TruGreen
TruGreen is a leader in the industry, offering a range of plans in every state except for Alaska. Read on to learn more about its benefits.
- Variety of plans: TruGreen offers several annual programs instead of just one basic one, unlike many other lawn care companies.
- Expert specialists: TruGreen provides scientifically backed services performed by TruExpert℠ Certified Specialists. Each specialist must undergo the 10-day TruExpert Lawn Certification Program, a course that covers topics including horticulture, agronomics, and safety.
- Satisfaction guarantee: For full-program customers, TruGreen service is backed by the Healthy Lawn Guarantee—a TruGreen lawn care specialist will return to your lawn as many times as needed between applications to re-treat at no additional cost.
- Professional analysis: Every service begins with a Healthy Lawn Analysis® to determine your lawn’s unique needs. After every visit, your lawn care specialist will leave you a detailed service summary with information on services offered and tips for lawn maintenance between visits.
- Commitment to customer service: TruGreen offers an online chat function, and mobile app.
Dallas Lawn Care Tips
Homeowners in the Dallas-Fort Worth area need to stay vigilant. Their warm season lawns can be robust and lush in tropical temperatures, but can still fall victim to drought, weeds, and disease. Here are the top types of grass for Dallas lawns:
- Bermuda grass: This broad-bladed grass type is inexpensive, drought-tolerant, and grows in nice and dense.
- St. Augustine grass: This blue-green grass offers good shade and salt tolerance, making it a top choice for coastal lawns.
- Zoysia grass: This low-maintenance grass requires less fertilization than other types and is resistant to disease and cold.
Here are some of the top tips for caring for your North Texas lawn:
- Perform a soil test: If your lawn is looking brown or patchy, do a test on a soil sample to determine what nutrients your lawn may be lacking.
- Aerate: If your lawn gets a lot of foot traffic, be sure to aerate the compacted soil. Using a core aerator, pull out plugs of soil to allow access to air, nutrients, and water. Break up the plugs of soil and let them decompose back onto the lawn.
- Get rid of grubs organically: If you’re finding a lot of grubs in your lawn but don’t want to expose your grass to harsh chemicals, consider using beneficial nematodes or milky spore.
Frequently Asked Questions about TruGreen Dallas
How much does TruGreen cost?
The cost of your TruGreen services can only be found out through a customized quote, since no two lawns are the same. Factors that determine cost include the part of the country you live in, the size and shape of your lawn, the condition of your lawn when treatment begins, and the program and a la carte services you choose.
Are TruGreen treatments natural?
TruGreen offers a natural fertilizer option with its TruNatural Lawn Care Plan.
When will I see results?
This will vary depending on the type of treatment. According to TruGreen, you may see visible results within a few weeks of the first application of weed control.
Does TruGreen treat for mosquitoes?
TruGreen offers Mosquito Defense that targets areas mosquitoes like to land and rest, like shrubs, mulch, and wood piles. These treatments are designed to reduce the number of adult mosquitoes in your yard.
Our Rating Methodology
To provide readers with the most objective, accurate, and detailed recommendations, the This Old House Reviews Team continually researches lawn care service companies on the market. We take the following steps to obtain up-to-date information about the industry and each company we review:
- Analyze more than 100 customer reviews from third-party review sites, such as Yelp, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and Google Reviews, for each company
- Secret-shop for lawn care plans and packages to get a sense of cost, offered services, and the overall shopping experience for prospective customers
- Speak with representatives on the phone to simulate the customer service experience from each provider
- Update information on a regular basis to ensure the most accurate information when plans or services change with each company
We use the data from our research to build an in-depth rating system that allows us to score lawn care providers on a 100-point scale. Here are the factors in our evaluation and their designated scores:
- Plan options (30): As one of the most important factors for homeowners shopping for a lawn care service, this one is weighted heavily based on each company’s lawn coverage. Companies that offer more options, such as irrigation, weed control, seeding, and aeration services in addition to a general plan, score higher than others.
- Trustworthiness (30): Each company’s reputation is another significant factor for homeowners to consider before signing up for a plan. We scored providers based on their BBB score, accreditation, and offered guarantees available with each purchase.
- Additional Benefits (20): We gave extra points to companies that provide a few additional services and benefits with their offered plans, such as organic treatments, pest control services, and a mobile app for digital communication and plan management.
- Customer Service (10): In this rating category, we awarded points to customer-focused lawn care service providers who offer weekend availability and easy communication through phones, online chats, and online resources.
- Availability (10): We also scored companies based on their overall availability, rewarding those that are nationally available over local companies only operating in select cities or ZIP codes.
More Lawn Care Resources
- TruGreen Review (2022)
- Sunday Lawn Care Review (2022)
- TruGreen Review: Denver, CO (2022)
- TruGreen Review: Oklahoma City, OK (2022)
- TruGreen Review: Charlotte, NC (2022)
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.