If you’re looking for lawn care with a focus on environmentally responsible approaches, NaturaLawn of America may have come up on your radar. This lawn care company considers itself a leader in the natural lawn care space, offering one fully organic plan. This Old House Reviews Team has created a thorough NaturaLawn of America review to help you decide if its plans, prices, and more are right for you.
Overall, This Old House Reviews Team’s top recommendation is TruGreen, an industry leader that services every state except for Alaska, and offers five comprehensive annual plans.
Pros & Cons of NaturaLawn of America
✔ Uses non-toxic proprietary products
✔ 2 plans to choose from
✘ Only available in 22 states
✘ No mobile app or online chat
NaturaLawn of America Plans and Services
NaturaLawn is known for being a leader in environmentally responsible lawn care services. Instead of using traditional chemicals, NaturaLawn uses non-toxic proprietary products. The lawn care company offers two unique lawn care programs, as well as lawn aeration services.
“100% Pesticide-Free Lawn Care” Plan
This plan starts with a soil test that determines the current health of the lawn and if any additional nutrients are needed. Based on the results, NaturaLawn will develop a custom treatment plan and provide organic, natural fertilization. This plan does not include weed control or pest control, unless specifically requested.
The fertilizer comes in granular form, and the main ingredient is milorganite, a slow-release, nitrogen fertilizer. The plan includes eight applications per year. The first seven are fertilizer treatments, and one is soil supplement.
“Organic-Based Lawn Care” Plan
This plan is very similar to the first, but it does utilize some low-level pest and weed control products. As with the other plan, a specialist will conduct a soil test and create a tailored treatment plan. This plan only uses the same organic fertilizer, and broadleaf weed control, crabgrass reducer, and insect control as needed. The pest and weed control use pyrethrins.
NaturaLawn claims to use less herbicide over time. By only treating specific areas, weeds are ultimately reduced by 85%, according to the company. The herbicides do not stay active in the soil, and are safe for people and pets after one hour of drying time.
As with the previous plan, the 8-application program consists of seven fertilizer treatments and one soil supplement application.
Lawn Aeration Services
With its lawn aeration service, NaturaLawn alleviates soil compaction through perforations to help your lawn access air, water, and nutrients.
NaturaLawn also offers fire ant control.
NaturaLawn of America Locations
NaturaLawn provides services in 22 states, including California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
NaturaLawn of America Reviews
NaturaLawn of America has multiple Better Business Bureau (BBB) profiles, each for different provider locations. Some pages are accredited while others are not, and BBB ratings vary. Here’s what some real customers had to say.
“I wished it worked, but for us, our lawn never looked so bad. We have three dogs and love the concept of natural lawn care. The customer service was good as they followed up and kept retreating but after 1.5 years we gave up. Weeds had overtaken the lawn. What was most disappointing was once we canceled, which was confirmed in writing, they continued to bill us for another service they did by mistake. After repeated emails and several calls, we have reported them to the BBB. Beware of this company, their prices are high and service promises much more than they deliver!” – Dan W.
“I only had mosquito prevention service done (in **). I’ve had them come in all last summer. For the first year, we could enjoy being outside without being eaten alive with mosquitoes. They did not eliminate them 100% and there were still some lonely ones flying around once in a while, but one random bite vs 20 bites in five min previously - I’m happy. The service was great - we always got a call saying when the rep is coming over. I’m signing up for this year and going to try their tick program as well.” – Veronika T.
NaturaLawn of America vs. Competitors
Let’s see how NaturaLawn stacks up against its top competitors on some top metrics.
Top-Rated Lawn Care Alternatives
|Provider||NaturaLawn of America||TruGreen||Weed Man|
|Provider||NaturaLawn of America||TruGreen||Weed Man|
|Our Overall Score||80.5 / 100||97 / 100||84 / 100|
|Lawn Care Programs||2 + a la carte services||5 + a la carte services||1 + a la carte services|
|States Available||22 states||49 states||37 states|
|Phone number||Not available through This Old House||1-866-817-2287||Not available through This Old House|
We rated NaturaLawn of America a score of 80.5 out of 100 on key metrics like services, state availability, customer service, and more.
If you’re looking for natural, organic solutions to lawn care, NaturaLawn may be right for you. However, weed control and pest control aren’t effective without some chemicals, so most customers opt for the Organic Lawn Care Plan, which includes them and isn’t wholly organic.
NaturaLawn has only been in the business since 1987, far fewer decades than top competitor TruGreen. In addition, it is only available in 22 states. For these reasons, TruGreen remains This Old House Reviews Team’s top recommendation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is NaturaLawn of America Safe?
NaturaLawn uses non-toxic products that are safe for both people and pets.
How much is NaturaLawn of America?
The exact cost you pay will depend on a variety of factors, including where you live, the condition of your lawn, the size of your lawn, and the plan you choose.
How can I make my grass green naturally?
The best way to make your grass green naturally is by using organic fertilizers that include ingredients like bone meal, seaweed, manure, and worm castings.
- Company name: NaturaLawn of America
- Company type: Private
- CEO: Theresa Smith
- Year founded: 1987
- Headquarters: 1 E. Church Street, Frederick, MD, 21701
- State availability: 22
- BBB rating: N/A
Our Rating Methodology
To provide readers with the most objective, accurate, and detailed recommendations, the This Old House Reviews Team continually researches lawn care service companies on the market. We take the following steps to obtain up-to-date information about the industry and each company we review:
- Analyze more than 100 customer reviews from third-party review sites, such as Yelp, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and Google Reviews, for each company
- Secret-shop for lawn care plans and packages to get a sense of cost, offered services, and the overall shopping experience for prospective customers
- Speak with representatives on the phone to simulate the customer service experience from each provider
- Update information on a regular basis to ensure the most accurate information when plans or services change with each company
We use the data from our research to build an in-depth rating system that allows us to score lawn care providers on a 100-point scale. Here are the factors in our evaluation and their designated scores:
- Plan options (30): As one of the most important factors for homeowners shopping for a lawn care service, this one is weighted heavily based on each company’s lawn coverage. Companies that offer more options, such as irrigation, weed control, seeding, and aeration services in addition to a general plan, score higher than others.
- Trustworthiness (30): Each company’s reputation is another significant factor for homeowners to consider before signing up for a plan. We scored providers based on their BBB score, accreditation, and offered guarantees available with each purchase.
- Additional Benefits (20): We gave extra points to companies that provide a few additional services and benefits with their offered plans, such as organic treatments, pest control services, and a mobile app for digital communication and plan management.
- Customer Service (10): In this rating category, we awarded points to customer-focused lawn care service providers who offer weekend availability and easy communication through phones, online chats, and online resources.
- Availability (10): We also scored companies based on their overall availability, rewarding those that are nationally available over local companies only operating in select cities or ZIP codes.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.