Mariani Landscape designs and maintains properties throughout the Chicagoland area with a wide range of services and maintenance plans. In this guide, we’ll cover everything from the history of Mariani Landscape to what customers have to say about their past experience with the company.
We’ll also compare Mariani to our top pick for lawn care, TruGreen. This national lawn care provider offers a range of affordable, yet high-quality services to keep lawns and properties healthy and beautiful. For a free quote from TruGreen, call 866-817-2287 or fill out this form.
Pros & Cons of Mariani Landscape
|✔ Provides a variety of design and maintenance services||✘ Targets a small service area in Chicago|
|✔ Offers year-round care||✘ More expensive than other lawn care and landscaping companies|
|✔ Has awards from industry publications||--|
Mariani Landscape Plans and Services
Mariani Landscape offers a variety of services for both residential and commercial landscapes. Below is an overview of the services offered.
Landscape Architecture Service
Mariani Landscape has targeted redesigns of hardscapes, irrigation system installation, and softscapes. It begins its design process from the ground up, supplying full renderings and collaboration as the final product takes shape. In addition to traditional yards and landscapes, Mariani designs rooftop gardens and builds dynamic outdoor living spaces.
More specifically, Mariani offers landscape architectural services including outdoor lighting, poolscapes, pool installation, irrigation, tree analysis and management, structural engineering, and soil engineering.
The company also showcases outdoor features including stoops, stairways, walkways, garden landscaping, balcony designs, seasonal plantings, regional trees, fire pits, outdoor fireplaces, dining areas, boxwood hedges, pergolas, stonemasonry, planters, window boxes, and retaining walls.
Residential Landscaping Service
Mariani offers both traditional and unique landscape maintenance and design plans. Clients can call on the company for seasonal assistance, year-round upkeep, and installing or updating new elements to your natural environment.
Mariani breaks down its landscaping services into eight categories:
1. Outdoor Care: This comprehensive plan is ideal for those looking for frequent, ongoing landscape maintenance. Services include perennial care, spring and fall cleanups, turf care, fixture maintenance, seasonal planting, and the upkeep of flower beds.
2. Turf Care: The turf care service plan places a larger focus on the health of your lawn itself. The team will complete appropriate mowing, as well as services like overseeding, fertilization, and aeration when needed. While the outdoor care listed above covers the extent of your living landscape, turf care provides intensive watch on the lawn health and appearance.
3. Seasonal Rotation: Mariani provides year-round services to swap out seasonal landscape features. This includes planting spring- and summer-appropriate flowers, adding fall foliage, and decorating for the holidays.
4. Rooftop Care: Somewhat unique to this company, Mariani maintains natural elements on rooftops of homes and commercial properties. Changes and maintenance aim to reflect the home’s interior design and the space’s capacity for comfortable use.
5. Prairie Landscaping: The company aims to preserve and design naturally flowing landscapes that incorporate native plants to create a formal landscape on larger properties.
6. Holiday Maintenance: This maintenance plan is similar to the seasonal location services, but it focuses more on holiday enhancements like wreaths, planters, and lighting.
7. Landscape Enhancements: Mariani can add new elements, such as native plants and seasonal flowers, to an existing landscape. Enhancements may also include changes to fixtures, drainage systems, groundcover, and hardscapes.
8. Snow Services: Mariani provides on-call snow removal services in colder seasons.
Mariani Landscape Locations
Though the company launched on the north shore of Chicago, its service area has branched out over the years to include the western suburbs of Chicago. The company currently has two locations: its headquarters in Lake Bluff and a satellite location in Westmont.
If Mariani does not offer service in your area, we recommend TruGreen. Get a quote using the tool below:
Mariani Landscape Reviews
Mariani Landscape has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and currently doesn’t have any customer reviews or complaints. Though Mariani Landscape reviews from residential customers are scarce, we found a few from Yelp:
Beth P. commented:
“Professional from beginning to end, I will never use another company for my landscaping needs! My consultant Catherine was always available for my (numerous!) questions and handled them all professionally. The crew we had was fabulous and even took care of our grass clippings! Our gardens looked lovely, and meticulously done by the time they packed up. Can’t recommend them enough.”
Jinx C. said:
“I have used Mariani for several large landscape projects. They have always been expensive, but the plant material and attention to detail made it worth the price. I recently completed a large landscape project and the prices were still high but this time sub-par plant material, sloppy rushed project, no attention to detail. [I] couldn’t be more disappointed. I will not be using Mariani again.”
Mariani Landscape vs. Competitors
Compare how Mariani Landscape stacks up against other lawn care companies.
Top-Rated Lawn Care Alternatives
|Breakdown||TruGreen||Lawn Doctor||Mariani Landscape|
|Breakdown||TruGreen||Lawn Doctor||Mariani Landscape|
|Our Overall Score||97||83||19|
|Lawn Care Programs||5 + a la carte services||2 + a la carte services||N/A|
|Mobile App||Yes||Only for New York||No|
|2018 Revenue*||$1.37 billion||$128.4 million||$48 million|
|Number of Employees*||13,504||1,350||550|
*Lawn & Landscape, Top 100 Issue, 2019
We give Mariani Landscape a 19/100. Though the company offers a variety of landscaping services and has basic turf care options, it doesn’t provide the comprehensive lawn care offerings necessary to maintain lawn health throughout the year. It’s also only available in one state.
If you’re working with a larger budget and require specific landscape care for a complex property, Mariani Landscape may be a good option. The company designs unique spaces, such as natural prairies and modern rooftop gathering spaces, and offers year-round services.
If you’re looking for more than just landscaping services, consider a national lawn care company like TruGreen. This top-rated lawn care company offers customized lawn care plans at affordable prices. Trugreen has nine locations in the Chicago area, making this a great contender to Mariani Landscape.
For a free quote from TruGreen, call 866-817-2287 or fill out this form.
- Company name: Mariani Landscape
- Company type: Private
- CEO: Frank Mariani
- Year founded: 1959
- Headquarters: 300 Rockland Road, Lake Bluff, IL 60044-1813
- State availability: 1
- BBB rating: A+
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team values accuracy, transparency, and trust. With that in mind, we created a thorough, objective rating system to score each lawn care company.
We spent hours researching lawn care companies by speaking with representatives and technicians directly over the phone, via email, and through chat to get the most up-to-date and useful information about plans, costs, and more.
Finally, we created a ranking system to determine the best lawn care companies, using key criteria like number and type of plans, state availability, customer service, and other factors. You can find more detailed information on it here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between lawn care and landscaping?
Lawn care involves services like mowing, weeding, and fertilizing and emphasizes basic maintenance for your lawn. Landscaping is the process of making your yard more attractive by altering the existing design, adding ornamental features, and planting new trees, shrubs, and flowers.
How many lawn treatments do I need?
Ideally, five lawn treatments are the standard to keep your lawn in good condition. However, you may need more or less treatments depending on the size of your lawn, the soil type, and where you live.
How do I maintain my lawn organically?
You can maintain your lawn organically by switching to an organic fertilizer, watering early in the mornings, using compost, and removing thatch.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.