In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook simplifies the tricky task to ordering mulch by the cubic yard.
1. One cubic yard is equivalent to a box measuring 3 feet wide by 3 feet long by 3 feet deep for a total of 27 cubic feet.
2. As a rule of thumb, 1 cubic yard of mulch covers approximately 100 square feet to a depth of 3 inches.
3. To calculate how many cubic yards of mulch are required to cover a planting bed, start by multiplying the length of the bed by its width to find the total number of square feet.
4. Next, multiply the square footage by the desired depth to get the total number of cubic feet.
5. Now, divide the number of cubic feet by 27 to find out how many cubic yards of mulch you’ll need.
6. Many websites have online calculators that provide a quick, easy way to calculate cubic yards.