Save This Old House: Wilson, North Carolina
Rich in historical value, this cute and spacious Queen Anne is a landmark for the southern town of Wilson, North Carolina
Published June 2011
Location: Wilson, N.C.
Contact: Kathryn Ferrari Bethune: 252-234-7694
Now empty and boarded up, this forgotten Queen Anne once played a pivotal role in the religious, commercial, and journalistic history of Wilson, North Carolina. It was built in the mid-1880s by Pleasant Daniel Gold, a prominent minister. Along with his son John (one of 11 Gold children raised here), he started what later became the Wilson Daily Times, still this city's go-to news source. In 1922, the house was purchased by Ephrain J. Harrell, a cofounder of the Acme Candy Company, which became one of the largest candy manufacturers in the state.
Shown: The two-story, four-bedroom Queen Anne has decorative arched braces in the front gables. A wraparound porch with round columns was added in the 1920s.
Just a short walk from a revitalized downtown, the 3,400-square-foot house has been vacant since Mr. Harrell passed on, in 1983. Over the years, it's seen its fair share of vandals and break-ins, but retains its architectural integrity, with ornate spindlework, built-in cabinetry, and almost all of its original doors and windows.
Shown: An ornate spindlework screen frames the front-parlor bay window.
This kitchen hutch is one of the house's remaining built-ins.
The structure is stable and the slate roof in good shape, but the place needs paint, plaster repair, new plumbing and electrical systems, a new kitchen, and new bathrooms. All restoration work is eligible for a 30 percent tax credit. So why not move here and add your own chapter to Wilson's history?
Shown: In the wide center hall, the original staircase rises from the rear of the house.