Location: Averasboro, NC
Contact: Cathleen Turner, Preservation North Carolina, 919-401-8540
The History: Around 1835, William Turner Smith and his new wife, Mary Campbell Smith, built this plantation house just a short distance from the Cape Fear River, where William’s father conducted a lucrative ferry operation. Six children and a second-story rear addition followed. In 1865, 10 years after William’s death, the home served as a field hospital for Union troops during the Civil War’s Battle of Averasboro. Today it sits on a two-acre parcel just inside the southern boundary of the Averasboro Battlefield Historic District, and Preservation North Carolina is looking for an owner who can help the home regain its former grandeur.
Shown: The 3,756-square-foot home was built in the Federal style, but a remodel about 20 years later added elements that reflect the Greek Revival style, including the two-story pedimented portico.