Location: Moreauville, LA
Contact: Brian Davis, Louisiana Trust for Historic Preservation; 318-267-5220
The History: In 1856, newlyweds Dr. Eugene Albert Amet and Palmire Lucie Boyer departed their native France and settled in the Avoyelles Parish of Moreauville, where her family built them a modest home. Over time, the house expanded along with their family. Eventually, one of the Amets’ three children, Marie, inherited the house and raised seven children there with her husband, Dr. Tobie Lucien Lougarre; he became the town’s first mayor in 1904. The home remained in the family for more than 100 years in total.
Shown: The 3,576-square-foot home holds five bedrooms and three baths. Outside, it is wrapped with original cypress clapboards. The gingerbread trim was added in the late 1800s and the dormers circa 1930.