Harness the Healing Power of Steam
Once considered an extravagance, steam rooms are now more attainable than most people may think—they can simply (and affordably) be added to an existing shower enclosure. Here’s how you can transform your bathing experience with a spa-quality steam shower, and begin to reap the healthy benefits of steam.
First, What Exactly is a Steam Shower?
Simply put, a steam shower heats water until it vaporizes and then pumps that steam into an enclosed area for your enjoyment.
Benefits of Steam
Steam showers are known for their “R&R” properties, but they offer so much more in terms of overall holistic health and well-being. Here are just a few of the surprising benefits:
- Researchers in India have suggested that steam therapy may aid in the relief of certain respiratory issues
- Promotes deep, restful sleep by encouraging relaxation and a sense of well-being
- Boosts metabolism—steam showers can burn up to 150 calories per session
- Increased blood flow from steam heat has been shown to relax muscles and reduce stress-induced pain to joints and other connective tissues
- Opens pores to flush out toxins for cleaner, clearer skin
- Loosens stiff muscles and reduces soreness for quicker post-workout recovery. And here are 8 more ways steam enhances a wellness lifestyle.
- Eco-Friendly: A 15-minute steam shower consumes just two gallons of water—compared to 40 for a conventional bath
- Need More? Click here for 41 Benefits of Steam Bathing
How Does it Work?
There are four components to a steam shower:
- Generator: The generator powers your steam system by boiling water. It’s about the size of a briefcase, though the exact size varies based on your shower’s construction. It can be installed up to 60 ft away in a closet, vanity, attic, or basement—basically any dry, heated location—with 12 inches of space around the generator for ventilation.
- Controls: Installed inside the shower and away from direct steam flow, the control lets you manage your steam session, from temperature and duration, to music, lighting and aromatherapy.
- Steamhead: This is where the steam is released. It’s installed on the shower wall, about 6-12 inches above the floor and opposite the seating area.
- Plumbing & Power: Your system will run on low-voltage household electric power (208v or 240v). You will need a water line to the generator, steam line from generator to shower, and a drain line.
Get Started With These 3 Steps
- Determine the size of the generator you’ll need: High ceilings or particularly large spaces will require a larger generator. And the material of your shower enclosure (tile, natural stone, acrylic, fiberglass, or composites) will also be a factor in the generator you choose as each has different heat retention properties.
- Determine which controls you want: You can pick controls ala carte, or MrSteam has created several all-in-one, ready to install steam shower packages that combine everything you need at a substantial discount.
- Select your accessories: Create the ultimate soothing experience with add-ons such as AromaSteam Essential oil delivery, ChromaTherapy mood lighting, in-shower Music therapy speakers, and Towel warmers. And control all of it with the SteamLinx mobile app – it allows for seamless control of essential steam room functions using your smart phone or mobile device.
Learn more about home steam shower installation, here.
Bring Wellness Home
Bringing the wellness potential of steam into your home is easier than ever. Click here to customize your steam shower experience with the MrSteam Virtual Spa System.