How to Upgrade a Mantel, Hearth and Surround
This Old House general contractor Tom Silva shows how to beautify an old, ugly brick fireplace
In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva shows how to beautify an old, ugly brick fireplace.
1. Remove the protruding brick corbelling from the face of the fireplace using a masonry hammer and cold chisel.
2. Chop out the old hearth and mortar bed using a hammer and cold chisel.
3. Mix up a batch of mortar; spread the mortar over hearth using a smooth trowel. Allow mortar bed to cure for two days.
4. Install granite hearth and surround to the using masonry adhesive.
5. Assemble the knock-down mantle surround using a screwdriver.
6. Set assembled mantel into place against the fireplace wall.
7. Scribe a line around the mantel and onto the wall; move the mantel out of the way.
8. Screw 2x2 cleats to the wall using 3-inch screws. Position cleats ¾ inch inside of the pencil lines.
9. Set the mantel in place against the wall, then use a gas-powered or pneumatic nailer to fasten through the top and sides of the mantel and into the cleats.
10. Install beaded molding around the inside perimeter of the mantel surround.