How to Refinish a Cast-Iron Tub
In this how-to video, This Old House host Kevin O'Connor reveals tub-refinishing techniques
In this video, This Old House host Kevin O'Connor explains how to refinish a cast-iron tub.
1. Use utility knife to remove old caulk from around perimeter of tub
2. Scrape caulk from face of tile with razor scraper.
3. Spray tub with acid-based commercial cleaner.
4. Wait 5 minutes, then scrub the tub.
5. Cover the walls with plastic sheeting.
6. Apply acid-etching paste to tub with a scrub brush.
7. Wait 15 minutes, then wash the tub with clean water.
8. Spray on primer; let dry.
9. Spray tub with a topcoat mixture of white paint and high-gloss polyurethane.
See products and services from this episode