How to Prune an Overgrown Hedge
This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook gives new life to an an out-of-control hedgerow
In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook gives new life to an an out-of-control hedgerow.
1. Drive a tall wooden stake into the ground at each end of the hedge.
2. Stretch a tight string between the stakes and tie off both ends. Position the string to represent the cutting height of the hedge.
3. Use a gas-powered hedge trimmer to slowly cut the hedge along the taut string.
4. To cut branches larger than 1 inch in diameter, use a pair of long-handle bypass loppers.
5. Remove and discard the branches trimmed from the hedge.