How to Monitor Electricity Use
Saving electricity—and loads of money—with energy efficiency expert Paul Scheckel
In this video, energy efficiency expert Paul Scheckel shows how to save electricity and loads of money.
1. Replace standard incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, and watch how much more slowly the electric meter turns.
2. Use an appliance meter to determine how much electricity an appliance is using.
3. Have an electrician install current sensors onto individual circuits in the main electrical panel. The sensors send information to a power management box, which you can access on-line to determine when and where you're using the most electricity.
4. To help prevent losses due to phantom electricity, use power strips to turn off several devices at the end of each day.
5. Use controlled power strips to turn off some, but not all devices plugged in.