How to Manage Heat Gain and Loss Seasonally
This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook with tips for saving energy
In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook shares tips for saving energy.
1. Plant deciduous trees to block sun and keep house cooler in summer.
2. Build a pergola or shade arbor to shield home from sun. Or, install awnings.
3. Install window air-conditioning units on north side of house.
4. Shade central air-conditioning units with shrubs.
5. Close doors leading to room with fireplace, and crack a window in the room.
6. Install a damper to top of chimney.
Close damper when not using the fireplace to prevent warm room air from escaping.