How to Locate Cabinet Knobs and Pulls
Ask This Old House general contractor Tom Silva gives tips on installing cabinet hardware accurately and consistently
- On base cabinets with drawers, keep pulls on lower drawers slightly higher than center. They’ll appear centered when viewed from above.
- To visually check the location of a knob without making holes, use two-faced putty.
- Use a combination square to measure the center location and transfer that measurement to other cabinets.
- Use scrap wood to create a jig to ensure consistent placement of hardware.
- A basic plastic jig can be used for marking with several offsets located.
- An adjustable jig can ensure consistent placement and acts as a drill guide.
- Another adjustable jig offers spacing for both pulls and knobs on door and drawer front cabinets.