How to Install a Wireless Thermostat
This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey helps a homeowner install a wireless thermostat to control one zone of heating
In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey helps a homeowner install a wireless thermostat to control one zone of heating.
1. Mount the electronic interface module (receiver) to the wall beside the boiler.
2. Run two wires from the receiver to the appropriate zone valve.
3. Run two more wires from the receiver to a transformer. Fasten the wires to the wall and ceiling with cable staples.
4. Follow the manufacturer's easy pushbutton instructions to link the receiver to the thermostat.
5. Mount the thermostat to an inside room wall, away from any windows or heat-producing electronics.
6. Use two hollow-wall anchors to screw the thermostat's mounting base to the wall.
7. Snap the thermostat onto the mounting base, then program it to the desired room temperature.
8. The heat can be controlled wirelessly at the wall-mounted thermostat or via the Internet on your computer, tablet, or cell phone.
9. Another type of wireless thermostat features a receiver that connects to wires of the existing thermostat, which greatly simplifies the wiring process.