How to Install a Wireless Light Switch
Ask This Old House master electrician Scott Caron uses wireless technology to install a light and new switch
$100, excluding the light fixture
- Before doing any electrical work, always turn off the power at the circuit breaker.
- Disconnect and remove the current light fixture.
- Attach the the ground wire of the new fixture to the incoming ground wire, and if using a metal box, to the ground screw on the electrical box.
- Splice all the neutral wires together — from the power supply, the white from the fixture, and the white wire from the wireless module — and cover with a wire nut.
- Then, splice the black wire from the module to the black wire from the power supply and cover with a wire nut.
- Finally, splice the black wire from the fixture with the red wire from the wireless module and cover with a wire nut.
- Attach the light fixture to the electrical box following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- The light switch mounts to the wall at 48” to center, preferably inside a doorway. It does not require any wiring or batteries.
- Restore power at the circuit panel and test.