How to Install Radiant Heat in a Pre-Fab House
This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey shows how radiant heat is installed in a prefabricated home
1. Drill ⅝-inch-diameter holes through the floor joists for running the PEX tubing.
2. Lay the aluminum transfer plates between the floor joists, then fasten them to the underside of the subfloor with ½-inch screws.
3. Run a continuous length of PEX tubing back and forth along the transfer plates, passing it through the holes in joists.
4. Using your foot, gently step on the tubing to snap it into the grooves in the transfer plates.
5. Lay batts of mineral wool insulation between the floor joists, covering up the tubing.