How to Install a Garbage Disposal
In this how-to video, learn to replace a garbage disposal with This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey
In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey explains how to install a garbage disposal.
1. Turn off the electrical power to the garbage disposal; use tester to ensure power is off.
2. Disconnect the electrical cable from the underside of the disposal.
3. Unbolt the drainpipe from the side of disposal.
4. Loosen locking ring and remove the old disposal.
5. Unscrew the mounting ring from underside of sink.
6. Remove the locking ring with a screwdriver.
7. Push out the sink flange from the drain hole in sink; clean away old putty.
8. Apply bead of plumber's putty around sink flange, then set it in drain hole.
9. Reattach mounting ring to underside of sink; tighten the screws.
10. Remove excess putty from around top of sink flange.
11. Reconnect the electrical cable to the disposal.
12. Attach the disposal to locking ring; tighten with screwdriver
13. Connect the tailpiece and rubber gasket for the drain line to the disposal.