How to Install Foam Crown Molding
This Old House general contractor Tom Silva shows how to enhance a room with easy-to-install crown molding
In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva shows how to enhance a room with easy-to-install crown molding.
1. Fasten the plastic installation clips to the wall using 2-inch drywall screws. Space the clips 12 inches apart.
2. Place a small piece of painter's tape a few inches below each clip, indicating the clip's location.
3. Use a large layout square to determine if the inside wall corners are square.
4. For out-of-square corners, use a bisecting adjustable square to set the wall-corner angles.
5. Adjust the power miter saw's blade angle using the bisecting adjustable square.
6. Place the molding upside down against the saw fence, and make the compound-angle miter cut for the inside corner.
7. Measure the wall to determine how long to cut the crown, then cut another compound angle on the opposite end of the molding.
8. Hold crown in place against the installation clips, then use the heel of your hand to firmly tap the molding it into the clips.
9. Cut a miter angle on the adjoining length of molding, then apply a bead of acrylic latex caulk to miter joints.
10. Slide the adjoining length of molding tightly against the first piece, then tap it into the clips.
11. Fill any gaps between the crown molding and ceiling with caulk.