How to Install an Electronic Air Cleaner
Improving indoor air quality with This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey
In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey improves indoor air quality.
1. Remove the pre-filter and both electronic cells from the air cleaner cabinet.
2. Apply strips of self-adhesive gasket around the perimeter of the air cleaner cabinet.
3. Screw the air cleaner cabinet to the side of the furnace.
4. Install a sheet metal duct between the air cleaner and an existing heat duct. Make the connection between the two ducts with a flexible adapter.
5. Fasten the duct to the furnace and air cleaner with short sheet metal screws.
6. Seal all joints in the ductwork with foil-faced duct tape.
7. Install the electronic cells and pre-filter into the air cleaner cabinet, making sure to orient them in the correct airflow direction.
8. Attach the electronic switch component to the air cleaner cabinet, then plug in the power cord.