How to Hang a Kitchen Wall Cabinet
This Old House general contractor Tom Silva helps a homeowner purchase and install a kitchen wall cabinet
In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva helps a homeowner purchase and install a kitchen wall cabinet.
1. Use a 4-foot level to see if the wall is plumb.
2. Mark the locations of the wall studs, then drill a small hole at each mark to confirm the stud locations.
3. Measure from a corner of the wall to the center of each stud, then transfer those dimensions to the back of the cabinet. Be sure to take into account the overhanging face frame.
4. Drill a pilot hole through the back of the cabinet at each stud location.
5. Reach inside the cabinet and hand-thread one 3-inch cabinet screw into each pilot hole.
6. Stand a cabinet jack in place below the cabinet location, then adjust the jack to the proper height.
7. Set the cabinet on top of the jack and press it tight to the wall.
8. Check the cabinet for level, then use a the drill to drive the screws through the upper back of the cabinet and into the wall studs.
9. Drill pilot holes and screw through the bottom of the cabinet, too.
10. Set a glass panel into each door and secure it with screw-on plastic clips.