How to Hang a Heavy Mirror on Masonry
Ask This Old House general contractor Tom Silva helps a homeowner hang a large mirror on the stone chimney above his fireplace
- Set up scaffolding (staging) in the work area.
- Measure the center to center distance between the two hooks on the back of the mirror.
- Measure from the bottom of the mirror to the top of the hook.
- Measure the width of the chimney, then divide that in half to find the center location.
- Determine the height of the bottom of the mirror off the mantle. From that point, measure up to the height of the hooks.
- Using the center mark as a reference, divide the spacing between each hook in half, placing two marks on the stone equidistant from the center mark.
- Determine the height from the mantle to the center height mark. Transfer that height to the two hook position marks.
- Use a hammer drill to make a hole at your mark for the concrete anchors. Pump the trigger and be gentle when starting the hole.
- Slide the concrete anchor into the hole and tap it in place with a hammer.
- Use a hand screwdriver to set the screw into the anchor.
- Lift the mirror and set it on the hooks.
Staging and hammer drills can be rented from a home center or a tool rental shop.
Concrete anchors and screws can be purchased at a home center.