How to Fertilize a Lawn
In this how-to video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook and host Kevin O'Connor discuss proper techniques for feeding a lush, green lawn
In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook and host Kevin O'Connor explain how to fertilize a lawn.
1. Use a walk-behind drop spreader to apply materials—seed, fertilizer, or lime—to small- to medium-size lawns.
2. Check packaging for proper spread rates; adjust drop spreader to recommended setting.
3. Fill drop spreader halfway up with lime.
4. Use spreader to put down a strip of lime around perimeter of property.
5. Apply lime to remainder of lawn, making sure to overlap each pass slightly.
6. For large yards, use a broadcast spreader to disperse pelletized lime.
7. At end of job, rinse spreader well with garden hose, then lubricate all moving parts with spray lubricant