How to Design a Modern Kitchen
This Old House general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey, host Kevin O'Connor, and kitchen designer Martha Fay discuss the elements that make up today's kitchen
1. Use commercial-grade appliances for superior performance and high-end look.
2. Natural-stone counters are often used alongside range to provide heat-resistant surface for pots and pans.
3. Select marble counters for baking center; it creates ideal work surface for rolling out dough and pastry crust.
4. For old-world handcrafted look, consider wooden countertops.
5. Glass tiles are a good choice for covering the backsplash wall between upper and lower cabinets.
6. The once-popular combination of a copper sink with a wall-mounted faucet is back in vogue today.
7. Furniture-style cabinetry with inset doors and drawers lend a fine, handcrafted look to any kitchen.
8. Design can incorporate both painted and stained cabinets in the same kitchen.