How to De-thatch a Lawn
In this how-to video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook breathes new life into a suffocating lawn
In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook explains how to dethatch a lawn.
1. For small lawns, use thatch rake to comb thatch from grass.
2. For larger lawns, use power rake to remove thatch from grass.
3. Use leaf rake to collect thatch and place onto tarp; properly discard thatch.
4. Spread grass seed across lawn and rake into the grass.
5. Use a drop spreader to apply fertilizer and pre-emergent crabgrass control to the lawn.
6. Keep lawn moist; water daily if necessary.