How to Clear Poison Ivy
In this how-to video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook provides strategies for ridding your yard of this insidious invader
In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook explains how to clear poison ivy.
1. Tape closed pant hems at ankles, and shirt sleeves at wrists; put on eye goggles and work gloves.
2. Grab poison ivy plant close to ground and pull to extract root; soaking ground with water can ease root pulling.
3. Stuff uprooted vines into plastic trash bag; place full bag inside of another bag for extra protection against the oily vines.
4. Put trash bags out with household trash; never burn or compost poison ivy.
5. To deter poison ivy from returning, cover ground with thick layer of leaves or wood chips.
6. When done, scrub hands with a mineral-spirits-based cleanser, such as Tecnu or Zanfel; rinse well with cold water.
7. Launder clothes in separate load in washing machine.