How to Choose Tools for First Time Gardeners
Ask This Old House landscape designer Jenn Nawada shows off some of her favorite tools to help out first-time gardeners
In this video, Ask This Old House landscape designer Jenn Nawada shows off some of her favorite tools to help out first-time gardeners.
1. Jenn recommends a hand trowel to lift soil in small spaces and transport flowers.
2. Jenn likes the hori hori knife to easily rip through roots with the serrated edge. The knife also has a depth gauge to measure how deep to plant flowers and bulbs.
3. Jenn uses the hand rake to score plants and rake the soil around the edges of flowers.
4. Jenn calls the bypass pruners essential. This tool can give you a clean edge to cut stems This will give the plant a chance to regrow.
5. Jenn likes the nitrile-dipped gloves, which make them waterproof. She also says you should always wear gloves because you never really know what's in the soil.
6. Jenn also says a watering can with a rose is a must have to give plants a nice soaking. It also allows you to regulate how much water goes in.