How to Choose and Use Foam Insulation
This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains the wide world of spray-foam insulation
In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains the wide world of spray-foam insulation.
1. Pick the appropriate foam insulation for the job at hand. Shake can well before applying.
2. Use minimal-expanding Window-and-Door Foam to insulate around windows and doors.
3. Apply the foam sparingly, allowing it to expand to fill the gaps.
4. Use Gap-and-Crack Foam to fill spaces between the house foundation and mudsill.
5. Spray foam insulation behind electrical boxes prior to insulating the walls with fiberglass batts.
6. Use fire-block foam insulation to fill holes around pipes, electrical cables and ducts.
7. To insulate large areas, such as stud bays, use two-part polyurethane spray foam.