How to Build a Storm Shelter
This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey shows how to pour a massive concrete storm shelter
In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey shows how to pour a massive concrete storm shelter.
1. Cut out and remove the concrete slab from the garage floor, and dig down 28 inches.
2. Build a wooden form around the excavated hole to create the walls and ceiling of the concrete storm shelter.
3. Install metal rebar throughout the form to reinforce the concrete.
4. Use a concrete pump to fill the form with small-aggregate concrete.
5. Vibrate the concrete throughout the pour to eliminate voids and air bubbles.
6. Smooth the concrete on top of the storm shelter with a steel float.
7. Allow the concrete to cure for 24 hours, then strip away the wooden form.
8. Hang a sliding door and then hire an electrician to run power to the storm shelter for lights and outlets.