In this video, Ask This Old House Host Kevin O’Connor shows a new mom a few tips to keep her baby safe around the house by using cabinet locks, a baby gate, outlet covers, and securing a television.
How to add childproofing
- For cabinet latches, place the latch where you want it on the cabinet door and the catch on the cabinet frame, and pre-drill holes with an electric drill.
- Using a hand screwdriver, secure the screws included with the latch kit to the cabinets.
- For a safety gate, find two solid points of attachment (a wall and a newel post for example). At the bottom of the stairs, a gate can be held with tension by using a wrench to tighten the sides of the gate. At the top of the stairs, use included screws to secure the gate to structure.
- For electrical outlets, remove the existing outlet cover by loosening the center screw, and replace with a childproof outlet cover that automatically closes when not in use.
- For a flat-screen television, attach one mounting strap to the mounting holes on the back of the television using the machine screws provided.
- Using wood screws, attach the other mounting strap to the furniture below the television.
- Bring the two straps together until tight.