Purchasing a pet insurance policy in Kentucky can protect against expensive vet bills and unexpected costs due to emergencies or illnesses, allowing you to focus on your pet’s recovery instead of worrying about how to pay for its care.
The This Old House Reviews Team spent hours reviewing and researching pet insurance providers in the United States on key metrics such as monthly costs, plan options, coverage, and policy details to find the top-rated pet insurance companies available.
Top 7 Pet Insurance Providers in Kentucky
- Spot: Most Customizable Plans
- Embrace: Best Deductibles
- Fetch by The Dodo: Best Holistic Coverage
- ASPCA Pet Health Insurance: Best for New Pet Owners
- Healthy Paws: Best Coverage Limit
- Figo: Best Extra Coverage Add-on
- Pawp: Best Digital Clinic
The customizable coverage options with Spot put it squarely on our list of best options for pet health insurance in The Bluegrass State.
- Our score: 91
- Offers accident and illness and accident-only plans as well as four deductibles for personalized coverage
- Covers therapeutic diets and dietary supplements, which are not included in most competitor plans
- Doesn’t require a recent exam to enroll a pet in coverage
Spot Pet Insurance Pros and Cons
✔ Provides a 10% multi-pet discount for people who insure more than one animal
✔ Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Covers microchip implantation, which isn’t typically covered by other providers
✘ Doesn’t provide customer service availability by phone on weekends or in the evenings
✘ Doesn’t offer coverage for pets less than 8 weeks old
Spot Plans and Coverage
Spot’s baseline plan is an accident-only plan and covers costs related to hospitalization, treatments, and medications needed after accidents. The company’s accident and illness plan covers common injuries, accidents, and conditions, such as:
- Swallowed objects or toxic ingestions
- Hereditary and congenital conditions
- Behavioral treatments for excessive licking, tail chasing, and destructive chewing
- Illnesses, including cancer, diabetes, and respiratory infections
- Dental diseases, such as gingivitis and periodontitis
Spot also offers two preventive care add-ons: The Gold Preventive Care add-on offers up to $250 of reimbursement annually for routine care, such as wellness exams and dental cleanings, while Platinum Preventive Care includes all of Gold’s benefits, raises the reimbursement limit to $450 of annual routine care costs, and includes more expenses such as blood tests.
Breeding costs, cosmetic procedures, and preexisting conditions are all excluded from coverage with Spot.
Spot Pet Insurance Cost
Based on the quotes we received for 4-year-old cats and dogs in Kentucky, a pet insurance policy from Spot varies between $49 and $68 per month for dogs and between $24 and $26 per month for cats.
Learn More: Spot Pet Insurance Review
Embrace is one of our top picks for Kentucky pets thanks to its customizable deductibles and diminishing deductible benefit for each year you go without filing a claim.
- Our score: 93.5
- Its mobile app offers a convenient way for you to manage your policy and file claims
- Includes exam fees in its standard plan instead of providing it as an add-on like many pet insurance companies do
- Doesn’t have age limits on coverage
Embrace Pros and Cons
✔ Offers three tiers of wellness add-ons for extra coverage, including prescription foods, training classes, and vaccines
✔ Has 18 years of experience in the pet insurance industry, almost double many of the other providers on this list
✔ Provides five options for deductibles ranging between $200 and $1,000 and a Healthy Pet credit that removes $50 from your policy for each year you go without filing a claim
✘ Doesn’t have an unlimited coverage option, with options maxing out at $30,000
✘ A vet exam from within the past 12 months is required to enroll your pet in coverage
Embrace Plans and Coverage
Embrace offers one accident and illness plan that covers incidents such as:
- Exam fees
- Congenital, chronic, and breed-specific conditions
- Alternative treatments, such as hydrotherapy and acupuncture
- Diagnostic testing, including X-rays, CT scans, ultrasounds, and biopsies
- Hospitalization and surgery
- Dental trauma
- Prescription drugs
Embrace accident and illness coverage excludes veterinary costs for preexisting conditions, deliberate injuries, cosmetic procedures, cloning or DNA testing, breeding, whelping, and pregnancy.
Embrace Pet Insurance Cost
In our research, we found that Embrace’s pet insurance for dogs in Kentucky runs between $27 and $96 per month, while pet insurance for cats ranges from $21–$35 per month.
Get Quote: Embrace Pet Insurance Quote
Learn More: Embrace Pet Insurance Review
Fetch by The Dodo
Fetch by The Dodo is a great option for pet owners interested in holistic therapies like chiropractic care or behavioral treatments.
Some highlights include:
- Our score: 91.5 out of 100
- Up to to $15,000 in annual coverage for behavioral issues like anxiety and aggression
- Coverage of vet exam and sick visit fees
- No policy terminations, regardless of pet’s age or health
Fetch Pros and Cons
✔ Provides discounts to AARP members and Walmart customers
✔ Will reduce your premiums by 15% (maximum of 30%) for each year you go without filing a claim
✔ Includes 24/7 virtual access to veterinarians
✘ Doesn’t provide wellness benefits or preventive care
✘ Has a 15-day waiting period, which is longer than most pet insurance companies
Fetch Plans and Coverage
Fetch by The Dodo covers accidents and illnesses under one plan. Coverage includes broken bones, toxic ingestions, cancer, hereditary conditions, and hip dysplasia. Customers can select one of three annual reimbursement caps: $5,000, $15,000, or unlimited. Fetch offers a deductible of $250, $300, or $500.
The standard plan also includes holistic and alternative treatments such as acupuncture and hydrotherapy and up to $15,000 for the treatment of behavioral issues. Fetch will reimburse you for cancellation fees if you have to miss a planned vacation due to your pet’s injury or illness or boarding costs if you are in the hospital for more than four days.
Fetch Pet Insurance Cost
The cost of Fetch Pet Insurance in Kentucky ranges from around $34 to $72 for adult mixed-breed dogs and $16 to $25 for adult mixed-breed cats, according to our research.
Get Quote: To find out how much a Fetch by The Dodo policy would cost you, visit the company’s website.
Learn More: Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance Review
For brand-new pet parents or those who want to learn more about breeds, conditions, and where to find a local vet, ASPCA Pet Health Insurance may be the best choice for Kentucky pet insurance.
- Our score: 89
- Policies offer perks for younger and older pets, including behavioral treatment, microchipping, and costs related to the end of a pet’s life
- Offers a broad range of online resources about caretaking for pets, breed information, and even making choices about your pet’s health journey
- Its Accident-Only Plan provides emergency coverage at a lower cost
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Pros and Cons
✔ Offers both accident-only and accident and illness plans to choose from
✔ Both the app and website provide a vet-finding tool for your area
✔ After six months without symptoms, your pet may qualify for coverage related to curable pre-existing conditions
✘ Many customer reviews mention long wait times and customer support
✘ Pet owners with pets older than 18 cannot receive a quote online
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Plans and Coverage
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance offers two plans with increasing levels of coverage. The Accident-Only Plan takes care of new emergencies or injuries like broken bones, bite wounds, and lodged foreign objects, as well as expenses for diagnostics and testing, surgery, acupuncture, and physical therapy.
The company’s Complete Coverage Plan includes Accident-Only coverage and adds even more protection for your pet against illnesses such as hypothyroidism, allergies, cancer, and digestive problems in addition to hereditary and congenital issues, such as eye disorders and heart disease. Complete Coverage also includes many prescribed behavioral treatments. A wellness add-on is also available.
Neither of the company’s plans covers incurable preexisting conditions, cosmetic procedures, costs from breeding or pregnancy, or preventive care. Curable preexisting conditions may become eligible for coverage after your pet goes 180 days without symptoms, with the exception of knee and ligament conditions.
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Cost
In acquiring quotes, we found that a pet insurance plan with ASPCA Pet Health Insurance ranges from $32– $44 per month for dogs in Kentucky, while insuring a cat can cost from $16–$24 per month.
Get Quote: ASPCA Pet Insurance Quote
Learn More: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Review
We recommend Healthy Paws for its unlimited coverage caps built into every policy, which prevent pet parents from worrying about exceeding limits and paying out of pocket in the event of an expensive emergency.
- Our score: 93.5
- According to the company’s website, most claims are processed within two days of filing, providing quick payouts to pet owners waiting for a reimbursement
- Its online quote tool shows offers from other pet insurance providers if it deems your quoted price is abnormally high
- Each quote that is filled out triggers a donation to veterinary care for pets without homes
Healthy Paws Pros and Cons
✔ Offers an online chat feature for fast digital support
✔ Doesn’t have annual, per-month, or lifetime limits on coverage with its standard plan, which means pet owners don’t need to worry about paying out of pocket if their veterinary bills exceed their plan’s coverage cap
✔ Has been donating toward homeless pets since 2009 through the Healthy Paws Foundation
✘ Has a long 12-month waiting period for hip dysplasia, which may cause problems for older pets that begin to develop symptoms
✘ No customization options for pets age 6 and above
Healthy Paws Plans and Coverage
Healthy Paws offers just one plan to furry friends, which comes with an automatic unlimited coverage cap. The accident and illness plan includes costs associated with:
- Genetic, congenital, and hereditary conditions
- Hospitalization and emergency care
- Diagnostic tests, such as X-rays, blood tests, and ultrasounds
- Cancer treatments
- Emergency and specialty care
- Prescription medications
Preexisting conditions, fees for office visits and exams, routine and preventive care, and spaying or neutering are excluded items under a Healthy Paws policy. Additionally, Healthy Paws doesn’t offer any wellness coverage.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Cost
The quotes we received for Kentucky pets from Healthy Paws averaged between $36 and $70 per month for dogs and between $15 and $25 per month for cats.
Get Quote: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Quote
Learn More: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review
Figo provides a variety of add-on options, including coverage for lost-pet advertising and reward money and cremation expenses. The company also offers up to $10,000 in third-party liability insurance, which covers you for any damage your pet does to property that doesn’t belong to you or anyone living in your home.
Some highlights include:
- Our score: 93 out of 100
- Four reimbursement options up to 100%
- Unlimited annual payout cap
- Coverage for cats and dogs regardless of age
Figo Pros and Cons
✔ Has a one-day waiting period for injuries
✔ Provides an app to manage claims and pay premiums
✔ Offers 24/7 virtual vet visits
✘ Does not cover pets younger than 8 weeks
✘ Increases premiums with age
Figo Plans and Coverage
Figo offers three plans, all of which cover accidents and illnesses. The plans differ in terms of reimbursement caps. The Essential Plan has a $5,000 annual reimbursement cap and the Preferred Plan comes with a $10,000 cap. The Ultimate Plan has an unlimited reimbursement cap. Figo offers four deductibles, more than most competitors, that range from 70% to 100%.
Through the optional Extra Care Pack, customers can receive reimbursement for the cost of cremating a pet, advertising a lost or stolen pet, and vacation cancellation fees due to a sick or injured pet, among other items.
Figo Pet Insurance Cost
Using Figo’s online calculator tool, the cost to cover an adult mixed-breed dog in Kentucky ranges from $22.54 to $31.78. Cat coverage ranges from $11.79 to $16.64.
Get Quote: For a free quote from Figo, take this brief online questionnaire.
Learn More: Figo Pet Insurance Review
Pawp Pet Insurance
Pawp is an alternative to more traditional forms of pet insurance that offers excellent digital clinic services and an emergency fund with fixed monthly prices.
- Our score: 90
- Provides 24/7 access to video calls and chats with a veterinarian or vet tech for consultations
- Covers up to six pets with each emergency fund membership
- Doesn’t have deductibles—expenses up to $3,000 are paid straight to the veterinarian’s office in an eligible emergency
Pawp Pros and Cons
✔ Covers pre-existing conditions during an emergency
✔ Its flat fee is not determined by your pet’s age, breed, location, or medical history
✔ Offers low prices compared to the traditional pet insurance providers on this list
✘ Covers only one emergency vet visit each year
✘ An incident must be verified as an emergency by a Pawp vet before you can use the fund
Pawp Plans and Coverage
Pawp provides one coverage option: an emergency fund that is to be used in life-threatening events for your dog or cat. One membership can cover up to six pets and carries a maximum of $3,000.
The emergency fund can be used once per year to cover a veterinary emergency, which must first be assessed and approved by Pawp’s digital team before you can visit a veterinarian or emergency service. Once the condition is approved, pet owners will need to check their pet in for care within four hours.
Pawp doesn’t provide wellness or preventative care options. Additionally, elective and cosmetic procedures, routine visits, deworming, dental cleanings, and other non-emergent costs are excluded under Pawp memberships.
Pawp Pet Insurance Cost
Pawp charges a flat rate of $24 per month for up to six pets. If your veterinary emergency costs less than $3,000, you will still be eligible for only one visit per year.
Get Quote: Pawp Pet Insurance Quote
Learn More: Pawp Pet Insurance Review
Comparing The Best Pet Insurance Companies In Kentucky
We ultimately recommend getting quotes from at least three pet insurance providers to compare plan pricing in your area.
Compare Kentucky’s Best Pet Insurance Companies
|Provider||Our Rating||Monthly Pricing*||Wellness Add-On|
|Provider||Our Rating||Monthly Pricing*||Wellness Add-On|
|Fetch by The Dodo||91.5||$36,12||✘|
*Based on sample quotes for a mixed 4-year-old dog in Bowling Green, Kentucky, with a 42101 ZIP code.
How Much Is Pet Insurance in Kentucky?
Based on quotes we received for 4-year-old cats and dogs living in Bowling Green, the average cost of pet insurance for dogs in Kentucky runs between $19 and $96 per month, and pet insurance for cats runs between $16 and $35 per month.
Some factors that can affect premiums include:
- Species: Pet insurance for dogs tends to be more expensive than pet insurance for cats due to the higher risk of expensive illnesses and treatments for dogs. Dogs are prone to dementia, arthritis, and cancer as they age, leading to higher premiums.
- Breed: A pet’s breed can forecast health issues down the road. For instance, large dogs such as Golden Retrievers, Saint Bernards, and Irish Wolfhounds can tend to have more heart problems. Generally speaking, mixed breeds are less expensive to insure.
- Customization: Your premium price is also determined by your chosen deductible, reimbursement rate, and coverage cap. Lowering your premium may require choosing a slightly higher deductible and lowering your reimbursement rate and coverage cap. For example, selecting a $7,000 coverage cap, 90% reimbursement rate, and $250 annual deductible would cost the owner of a mixed 4-year-old pup $45.01 each month with Spot. On the other hand, selecting a $4,000 annual limit, 80% reimbursement rate, and higher $500 deductible would lower the monthly premium to $22.25.
- Age: Much like their human companions, pets tend to develop more illnesses and complications in their health journey as they age, making older pets more expensive to insure. Premiums tend to spike around age 6.
Pet Insurance in Kentucky FAQs
Is it worth it to purchase pet insurance in KY?
Pet insurance can be worth the purchase simply for the peace of mind it provides. In our survey of more than 1,000 pet parents, roughly 40% stated that they’d have to use a credit card to pay for a veterinary emergency, while another 9% weren’t sure how they’d pay for the expense.
We know that your furry companion’s wellness is a top priority. Pet insurance can ensure that your pet gets the care it needs during an emergency and allow you to focus on supporting your pet instead of the cost of treatments.
How do I know if my veterinarian is in my pet insurance network in Kentucky?
Unlike human health insurance, veterinarians don’t operate inside of specified networks. For all of the providers on this list, you can use your pet insurance at whatever Kentucky veterinarian you choose, so long as the items are covered in your policy.
Do I need to provide medical records for my pet to enroll in insurance in Kentucky?
Each provider has its own medical record requirements for enrollment. While Embrace and Healthy Paws require your pet to have a recent exam before enrolling in coverage, Pawp, ASPCA Pet Health Insurance, and Spot do not need records for your pet to be eligible for coverage.
For the best coverage limits, pet-friendly charitable donations, and quick claims processing, Healthy Paws may meet your pet insurance needs.
Finally, those who want accident-only choices and multiple wellness options should consider our top pet insurance pick in Kentucky, Spot.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is dedicated to thorough, in-depth reviews of each product or service that we detail in our content. Determined to build trust with our readers through transparency, accuracy, and accountability, we’ve built a detailed rating system to score pet insurance brands. Included in this methodology are the following six factors with their respective scoring weights:
- Coverage (25)
- Plan options (20)
- Monthly cost (20)
- Company reputation (15)
- Customer service (10)
- Species eligibility (10)
Our researchers keep all data in each company’s score up to date, making any changes to our content when necessary to provide our readers with the most accurate information on relevant metrics, such as plan options, customer service, reputation, and monthly cost.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.