Affiliate Disclosure:This Old House’s Reviews Team is committed to delivering honest, objective, and independent reviews on home products and services. To support this business model, This Old House may be compensated if you purchase through links on our website.
A foundation must distribute the weight of your home and all its contents to the soil beneath, as well as secure the property in place. Your foundation also has to prevent cracking, stop leaks, and stand up against environmental factors like blizzards and floods. Without proper foundation care, your entire home could experience significant damage or possibly collapse.
Minneapolis homes mainly feature basement and crawl space foundations. When these foundations are paired with the Twin Cities’ loamy soil and continental climate, they might experience leaks or mold development. These issues can lead to uneven floors or complete foundation settlement. If you’re noticing cracks in your basement walls, an inspection by a foundation repair expert can bring you peace of mind.
There are many foundation repair companies in the Twin Cities area. This guide will help you compare top foundation repair companies in Minneapolis and St. Paul in terms of their services and cost. When you’re ready to hire a foundation repair company, get a free quote from a provider in your area below:
Top Foundation Repair Companies in Minneapolis
- Best Overall in Minneapolis: American Waterworks
- Best for Commercial Services in Minneapolis: Innovative Basement Authority
- Best for Financing in Minneapolis: SafeBasements of Minnesota, Inc
- Best for Emergency Services in Minneapolis: Foundation Repair Pros
- Best for Concrete Services in Minneapolis: Minnesota Concrete Lifting
- Best Warranties in Minneapolis: J&M Concrete & Waterproofing, Inc.
- Best for Landscaping in Minneapolis: Gardner Construction Inc.
1. Best Overall in Minneapolis: American Waterworks
American Waterworks provides one of the most comprehensive selections of foundation repair services in Minneapolis. The locally-owned company provides services in the areas of basement waterproofing, foundation repair, and concrete repair and leveling. American Waterworks also offers excellent financing options through GreenSky.
American Waterworks Services & Pricing
You should expect the overall cost of American Waterworks’ services to cost around the average price of foundation repair in Minneapolis, $3,300 to $6,000. The company offers a wide range of foundation repair services that are tailored according to the detailed evaluation it provides for your home. Below are some of American Waterworks’ popular services:
- Carbon Fiber Wall Reinforcement Installation: American Waterworks utilizes the Supportworks developed CarbonArmor® Wall Reinforcing System to help stop soil pressure from pushing on your bowing walls. This is the same system used by the U.S. Department of Defense, Army Corps of Engineers, and aerospace engineers in a variety of projects.
- Foam Injection: With its custom PolyLevel® expanding foam, American Waterworks fills gaps caused by soil erosion and settlement beneath your concrete. This solution is a more affordable alternative to lifting concrete with piers, and it is affordable, lightweight, fast-curing, and waterproof.
- Foundation Piers & Slab Piers: For more severe foundation repairs, American Waterworks provide pier services for all types of foundations. Piers are installed beneath your home’s foundation to reach more stable soil. They are then lifted by a hydraulic machine to raise the foundation back to its proper level.
2. Best for Commercial Services in Minneapolis: Innovative Basement Authority
Innovative Basement Authority is a Groundworks company. This means the company is backed by one of the largest networks of foundation repair contractors in the United States. This allows Innovative Basement Authority to provide a comprehensive selection of foundation repair services geared towards commercial properties, as well as an extensive customer support network. This makes Innovative Basement Authority a great option for anyone looking for foundation repair or preventative maintenance for their business.
Innovative Basement Authority Services & Pricing
Innovative Basement Authority offers a wide range of foundation repair services that the company will recommend based on a free, detailed assessment. The company says the average cost of each pier installation ranges from $1,000 to more than $3,000 per foundation pier. It also states its average cost for slabjacking ranges from $500 to $1,300.
Here are some of the company’s most popular services:
- Commercial Services: Innovative Basement Authority provides all of its services for commercial properties. It can also assist with new concrete constructions, as well as new pier services for new foundations.
- Support Beam Jacks: With its IntelliJack® Crawl Space Stabilizers, the company deals with uneven or sagging floors caused by crawl space settlement. These jacks are designed to fit in crawl spaces of varying sizes, and they support up to 24,000 pounds per jack. Their installation is significantly faster than many other crawl space leveling solutions.
- Wall Anchor System: Wall anchors are connected by a steel rod to a wall plate to provide clamping pressure against the inside of a foundation wall and combat bowing walls. Innovative Basement Authority offers a 25-year warranty on its wall anchors.
3. Best for Financing in Minneapolis: SafeBasements of Minnesota, Inc
SafeBasements of Minnesota has provided the ‘Land of 10,000 Lakes’ with foundation repairs services for more than 30 years. The company keeps its tradition of family-oriented customer service, and it provides some of the most impressive financing options in Minnesota. Notably, it features a partnership with The Minnesota Housing Fix Up Program.
SafeBasements of Minnesota, Inc Services & Pricing
Though it doesn’t feature sample pricing online, SafeBasements of Minnesota’s services will most likely cost around $3,300 to $6,000. Customers get access to a comprehensive section of foundation repair and basement waterproofing services with the company. Check out some of its service options here:
- Basement Waterproofing: SafeBasements provides its Safe Edge™ system for basement waterproofing. This system directs water into a sump pump, called Safe Drain™, which helps remove water and reduce hydrostatic pressure for clay-based soils. It also features SafeTrack™, a patented rubber seal to ensure that water is drained away into the sump pump for monolithic floors.
- Liquid Urethane Injection: This service has the company inject a urethane formula into cracks to permanently seal them and stop any future leaks. Once dry, the material can be painted over to match with the rest of your basement.
- Crawl Space Encapsulation: SafeBasements will seal off your crawl space foundation to deal with moisture, excessive humidity, and possible pest infestations. The company’s crawl space encapsulation services include the installation of a special drain system.
4. Best for Emergency Services in Minneapolis: Foundation Repair Pros
Based out of neighboring St. Paul, Foundation Repair Pros is a great choice if you are in need of foundation repair as soon as possible. The company provides 24-hour emergency service, as well as 24-hour customer support. Foundation Repair Pros are accustomed to the common causes and signs of foundation problems in Minneapolis, and also features the perk of offering radon testing.
Foundation Repair Pros Services & Pricing
Foundation Repair Pros does not offer much information on its pricing online, but its services most likely cost around $3,300 to $6,000. Learn about some of the company’s popular services below:
- Void Filling: This service has the company fill voids or gaps that are causing bowing walls in your basement by drilling a hole through a block several rows up. It then inserts a piece of steel rebar, and it fills the core with concrete. This helps not only stabilize the wall, but it also provides additional support.
- Basement Waterproofing: Based on a detailed evaluation, Foundation Repair Pros creates a custom plan on how to waterproof your basement. Some solutions include sump pump replacement and French drain installation.
- Radon Testing: Radon is an odorless gas that can leak into your home from the soil during a natural process. Foundation Repair Pros provides radon testing to make sure your new home is safe, as well as recommend next steps if a dangerous amount is detected.
5. Best for Concrete Services in Minneapolis: Minnesota Concrete Lifting
As its name suggests, Minnesota Concrete Lifting is one of the best options for concrete services in Minneapolis. The company offers a wide array of concrete services, from new concrete projects such as a walkway to filling concrete cracks. Customers are also able to work out custom financing plans through the company. The company is also available 24/7 for concrete repairs.
Minnesota Concrete Lifting Services & Pricing
Minnesota Concrete Lifting offers concrete services, as well as industry-standard foundation restoration and repair services. Services with the company can be less than $1,000 for foundation crack filling, while larger jobs may cost around the average price of foundation repairs in Minneapolis, $3,300 to $6,000. Read over some of Minnesota Concrete Lifting’s services here:
- Polyurethane Foam: The company offers this eco-friendly option to lift concrete slabs back to their original level. This service also helps fill in cracks caused by settlement.
- Mudjacking: Minnesota Concrete Lifting also offers mudjacking to help lift concrete structures. The company uses a mixture of water, limestone, sand, and Portland cement to help repair sinking concrete structures.
- Tilting Chimneys: The company can also help with leaning chimneys. Based on its evaluation, Minnesota Concrete Lifting will recommend next steps for fixing your tilting chimney through methods such as mudjacking and underpinning.
6. Best Warranties in Minneapolis: J&M Concrete & Waterproofing, Inc.
J&M Concrete & Waterproofing has been providing foundation services in the Twin Cities area since 1995. In addition to its industry-standard offerings, the family-owned company provides a variety of warranties on its services and products, including a transferable manufacturer’s warranty. It also has a lifetime warranty on its drain tile system installations and will replace defective sump pumps.
J&M Concrete & Waterproofing, Inc. Services & Pricing
The company offers a great selection of foundation repair and basement waterproofing services. J&M Concrete & Waterproofing’s services range in the average cost of foundation repair in Minneapolis, $3,300 to $6,000.
- Sump Pump Installations: The company installs new sump pumps in your home’s basement to help combat leaks and standing water. These devices can also be connected to existing exterior drainage systems to channel the water away from your foundation.
- Drain Tile Installations: This service has the company create a system of subterranean drainage around the footings of your home. Water will enter the drain tile so it flows into the pipe system rather than your home.
- New Concrete Projects: J&M Concrete & Waterproofing is prepared for a wide variety of concrete projects. The company can help you create new concrete structures such as driveways, sidewalks, steps, patios, basement floors, garage floors, and more.
7. Best for Landscaping in Minneapolis: Gardner Construction Inc.
Damage to landscaping and yard work is a major concern of many homeowners undergoing foundation repairs. If you fall into this camp, we recommend Gardner Construction. It is the only company on this list to feature landscape grading services. The company also supplies technicians cross-trained in construction skills to avoid the use of sub-contractors.
Gardner Construction Inc. Services & Pricing
Gardner Construction is familiar with the environment of Minneapolis and the foundation issues it causes. The company’s services will likely fall in the range of $3,300 to $6,000. Learn about some of its service options here:
- Exterior/Interior Resurfacing: If you have cracking or deterioration of your foundation walls, Gardner Construction inspects and removes damaged areas, and then repairs foundation as necessary. The company then installs a heavy-gauge galvanized metal lath and corner moldings with quality metal fasteners. It will then apply a final coating as needed. This service not only fixes the foundation, but it also helps the walls look brand-new.
- Walkout Evacuation System: If you have a walkout basement, then the company can help combat leaks by digging down to the base of the foundation and drilling a hole at the footing. It then installs a PVC pipe to allow drainage to flow to a suitable runoff area.
- Landscape Grading: If you are concerned about your landscape and foundation existing in harmony, then Gardner Construction’s landscape grading service is perfect for you. The company helps direct rainwater away from the foundation and supplies proper landscape grading to assist lawn and ground cover adhesion, as well as reduce erosion and improve irrigation.
Foundation Repair Terms
Foundation repair can be a confusing and complicated process. There are many terms that you will come across that you are not familiar with from day-to-day home maintenance. Below is a list of common terms you might encounter:
- Carbon Fiber Support System: This refers to when a company installs carbon fiber strips or fixtures to support bowing walls and stabilize retaining walls.
- Crawl Space Encapsulation: This refers to the process of sealing off a crawl space from environmental factors. This may be done through vapor barriers, as well as the installation of plastic sheets and insulation.
- Epoxy and Urethane Injection: This service has a company use polyurethane to fill voids underneath. This is an eco-friendly approach to slabjacking and lifts settling foundations.
- French Drains: This refers to a drain consisting of an underground channel made by filling a trench with loose stones and covering it with earth.
- Hydrostatic Pressure Test: This is a test that measures pressure vessels such as pipelines, plumbing, gas cylinders, boilers, and fuel tanks for their structural integrity and how likely they are to leak.
- Monolithic Floors: This refers to when a floor is made by pouring a single layer of concrete to form a slab and footing.
- Mudjacking: This is a service that raises concrete by pumping mud or other material under it through drilled holes. It is also often called slabjacking.
- Piers: Piers are large beams that are installed vertically beneath a home’s foundation. They are most often used when a foundation experiences settlement. They are raised by using a hydraulic machine in order to position a foundation at its proper level. Some types of piers you will come across include push piers, which are used for smaller homes with concrete slab foundations, and helical piers, which are used for large homes or projects and feature a screw-like design.
- Sump Pump: This refers to a device installed in a home’s crawl space or basement to collect water. They work to redirect the standing water from leaks to an exterior drainage system.
- Underpinning: This term refers to when a solid foundation is laid to support or strengthen a home’s foundation using piers.
- Void Filling: This service refers to materials used to fill a subsurface void. Mudjacking is a form of void filling.
- Wall Anchors: This refers to when a steel helical pier fastens to the end of a plate in a bowing wall. They provide lateral support for bowing walls. These are sometimes called wall anchors and soil anchors.
If you want the most comprehensive foundation repair company in Minneapolis, both in terms of service and financing options, we recommend American Waterworks as ‘Best Overall in Minneapolis.’ We also recommend Innovative Basement Authority for anyone searching to have commercial foundation repairs completed.
Ultimately, consider requesting multiple structural engineer reports from each company to determine which provider offers the most competitive pricing for your job. Get a free quote from foundation repair companies in your area below:
Our Rating Methodology
This Old House aims to provide objective, well-researched reviews of foundation repair companies through a transparent and detailed methodology. We rate each foundation repair company on a 100-point scale in order to back up our findings and recommendations. Learn more about our rating methodology below:
- Foundation Repair Services (20 Points): Does the company provide comprehensive foundation repair services from the following options: pier installation, soil nails, leaning chimney repairs, mudjacking, retaining/stabilizing walls, cracked brick or block repairs, new construction piers services, timber pile support, wall anchors, or carbon fiber reinforcement?
- Basement Waterproofing Services (12 Points): Does the company offer comprehensive basement waterproofing services, such as drainage system installation, sump pumps, basement dehumidifiers, vapor barriers (wall coverings), window wells, or emergency waterproofing services?
- Crawl Space Services (10 Points): Does the company provide comprehensive crawl space services including crawl space support jacks, crawl space encapsulation, dehumidifiers, vapor barriers, or insulation services?
- Concrete Services (8 Points): Does the company provide industry-standard concrete services for both slab foundation and concrete structures, such as new construction concrete services, sinking concrete slabs repairs, concrete leveling, or concrete caulking for cracks?
- Financing Options (18 Points): Does the company offer financing options that include desirable plans such as a reduced interest loan or same-as-cash option? Does it customize the payment plan for each customer?
- Warranty Options (15 Points): Does the company include or not include a transferable lifetime warranty? Does it only provide a manufacturer’s warranty?
- Additional Benefits (17 Points): Can customers expect additional benefits or resources from the company, such as commercial services, a blog, online videos, an online gallery, an online customer portal, or eco-friendly options?
Minneapolis Foundation Repair FAQs
What is the average cost of foundation repair in Minneapolis?
The overall cost of foundation repair varies greatly from job to job. The average cost of foundation repair in Minneapolis ranges from roughly $3,300 to $6,000. There are many factors that impact your overall price on a foundation repair job, such as the amount of damage, need for slabjacking, additional services required, and the overall resale value of the home in question.
What are some common signs of foundation problems?
There are some universal signs of foundation issues. Signs include cracks or bulging on walls, soil pulling away from the home, cracking or titling in a chimney, uneven gaps on windows and doors, and sagging or uneven floors.
What are some causes of foundation issues in Minneapolis?
The most common causes of foundation damage in Minneapolis are poor soil conditions and bad construction techniques. The city features a lot of loamy soil, which is a mixture of sand, silt, and clay. This soil can shift a lot with wet weather patterns.
How do I sell a house with foundation problems?
In order to properly and legally sell a home that has foundation problems you must obtain a structural engineer’s report on your home’s foundation. You then must disclose any problems found to the buyer in writing and then negotiate based on those findings.
What is the difference between subsidence and settlement?
Settlement refers to when a home’s foundation causes the ground to compact, which leads to some uneven levels in the home. Subsidence refers to when the ground beneath the home is no longer suitable to support the house.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.